I'm seriously thinking of switching my domains to the free Google Apps infrastucture https://www.google.com/a/ One ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3

Gmail fit for purpose now?

Advertisement

I'm seriously thinking of switching my domains to the free Google Apps infrastucture

https://www.google.com/a/

One issue is what seems to be the varied reliability of GMail/BIS integration as I can't introduce a Gmail account to my BIS account without the 'full integration' taking place, right?

So...

1. Anyone using Google Apps with their own domain and a Blackberry BIS account?

2. How reliable is Gmail used with a Blackberry BIS account these days? I use a generic email service that pushes (redirects) mail to my BB's own email addresss. It's instant and reliable. Am I going to be disappointed if I move to GMail integration instead?

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Re: Gmail fit for purpose now?

My college uses Google apps for our school email... works pretty good with BIS.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

Keyscan no está en línea Stack level 2

RIM will need to add your domain to be enabled for GMAIL's enhanced pop based service if you want it to go through without doing advanced settings.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

I use gmail infrequently (only email address I have that doesn't get spam yet) but when I do use it it works beautifully.

Zo

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3

I have now set it up such that each mail I'm sent gets redirected both to a domain of mine hosted by Gmail and also to my bb's own email address. So far(!) they both arrive 'instantly' and at the same time, which is good...

whsbuss no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Keyscan View Post
    RIM will need to add your domain to be enabled for GMAIL's enhanced pop based service if you want it to go through without doing advanced settings.
    This is NOT necessary anymore. RIM updated the BIS for all hosted domains. It looks at the MX records for the hosted domain, and if they point to google (as in their hosted domain email setup), the BIS will automatically give you gmail POP capabilities for instant push email.

I've had my domain w/google for 4 months and it works just like a regualr gmail account on my blackberry. Now that google has IMAP support, I have that same account configured via IMAP in Outlook. Next step for google is 2-way sync like yahoo - then we're all golden!!
    Last edited by whsbuss; 11-16-2007 at 03:12 PM.

nelsong no está en línea Stack level 3

I've been using a google apps hosted domain and most of the times the mail gets sent instantly. But sometimes the mail just doesn't arrive; I have to delete the account in the BIS and re-add it.

I'm not sure if it's a problem of mine or googles. I'm really thinking of changing to the new godaddy hosted email service, since they have a new agreement with RIM.

whsbuss no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by nelsong View Post
    I've been using a google apps hosted domain and most of the times the mail gets sent instantly. But sometimes the mail just doesn't arrive; I have to delete the account in the BIS and re-add it.

I'm not sure if it's a problem of mine or googles. I'm really thinking of changing to the new godaddy hosted email service, since they have a new agreement with RIM.
    I think the problems are with google. They have been having gmail delivery problems for a while. What agreement w/GoDaddy are you talking about?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=51780

They are talking about this one that is on the front page.

Zo

Roo Zilla no está en línea Stack level 1

I guess I've been kind of lucky. In the last 6 months or so, haven't had a single problem with gmail or google apps. All my email arrives pretty timely, usually within 5 seconds. I send myself email reminders everyday and I've yet to experience anything greater than a something like 30 seconds after Outlook has announced that send/receive is complete. To be honest though, I don't receive that many emails. Usually about 10-15 a day so I might not have any incoming emails when the problems happen. Perhaps someone who gets a couple hundred or more a day would be much more aware of problems.