OK! so new to blackberry and after spending a few days scouring the forums i've ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

phutro no está en línea Stack level 1

GMail BIS question regarding reconciliation

Advertisement

OK! so new to blackberry and after spending a few days scouring the forums i've managed to set up everything rather neatly. however! *dramatic music* when i delete an email from my online accounts (i have 1 gmail, and 1 novell groupwise) the following happens:
    when deleting from novell groupwise: email on bb is deleted as well.
    when deleting from GMail: email on bb remains.

(deleting email from bb results in email on groupwise / GMail to be deleted as well so that's working fine)

my reconciliation options are set to delete on prompt (there are some that i would like to archive for the GMail account) and mailbox wins.

do the emails on GMail remain because it is being accessed as POP? (groupwise is set up as imap). would changing GMail to imap fix this?

also, what is and how does one "file" a message on the bb handheld? is this akin to labels for gmail? and... if i label an e-mail and archive it in gmail... what happens to the copy on the bb?

regards!

takadante no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24B2C963

Re: GMail BIS question regarding reconciliation

As far as I know, with GMAIL, 1-way reconciliation is only possible. Meaning you can delete emails from your handheld and it will delete it on GMAIL, but not vice-versa. I may be wrong, but thats what i believe is true(?)

phutro no está en línea Stack level 1

that's what it seems like from all the posts i've been reading in the meantime. need to figure out if i want to switch to imap i guess.

takadante no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24B2C963

Well i heard IMAP is incredibley slow...

whsbuss no está en línea Stack level 3

Gmail IMAP does not support push/instant message delivery to you BB. 2-way syncing does work but not very well yet. Deletes from the BB are quick but not from Gmail to your BB.

RIM's BIS for IMAP does not stay connected (gmail or any IMAP account) which is required for true 2-way syncing. They tested it back in August for a few days but had problems with IMAP server that did not support IMAP-IDLE & concurrent connections.

Right now only Yahoo has 2-way syncing thru the BIS that works within a minute (and remember it depends on wireless coverage where you are). We all hope RIM and/or Google will get IMAP functional again.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

X2 what whsbuss just said.

I would imagine Google will address the issue very soon. They are making a big push into the content delivery arena, doesn't help them with this issue if they leave Blackberry out of the mix.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

Keyscan no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
    Gmail IMAP does not support push/instant message delivery to you BB. 2-way syncing does work but not very well yet. Deletes from the BB are quick but not from Gmail to your BB.

RIM's BIS for IMAP does not stay connected (gmail or any IMAP account) which is required for true 2-way syncing. They tested it back in August for a few days but had problems with IMAP server that did not support IMAP-IDLE & concurrent connections.

Right now only Yahoo has 2-way syncing thru the BIS that works within a minute (and remember it depends on wireless coverage where you are). We all hope RIM and/or Google will get IMAP functional again.

Well there is a little bit more to it than that, but you pretty much summed it up when it comes to IMAP's IDLE Capability.

Keyscan no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    X2 what whsbuss just said.

I would imagine Google will address the issue very soon. They are making a big push into the content delivery arena, doesn't help them with this issue if they leave Blackberry out of the mix.

I don't believe they will be going full IMAP with google/rim. There is almost a hybrid implementation that is being worked on that will build off of the gmail-pop features that have already been implemented.