Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm an old Geek and set in my ways. I use folders extensively for manageing ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

GMail, BIS 2.3 and Folders

Advertisement

I'm an old Geek and set in my ways. I use folders extensively for manageing my email messages, and particularly for managing tasks and content in email. I keep only those emails that have not been completed or contain information that I know will be needed soon. All others are filed for future reference. My Blackberry is used for family and personal matters, and contains emails that I might need access to, but can't have/access from my work network. The Blackberry is the only method to access this data.

There is a problem that has manifested in the 8300/Curve and the 8830 Handhelds concerning the calendar application. There is a work around, but that work around requires the user to be using BIS 2.x or above. If I, transition, I will loose the ability to use folders from my blackberry. This is unacceptable. One of the RIM Reps suggested that I Gmail can use folders on the blackberry to accomplish what I need.
    I am not an experienced user of gmail and haven't been able to find how to create folders and manipulate the Gmail inbox. So I have a few questions of all you gmail users.

1. Can Folders be created in Gmail and if so How?.
    2. What are Lables, and how are they used?
    3. Can you manage emails on GMail on your Blackberry, moving them from the inbox to folders?
    4. Can you access the moved emails on your blackberry?
    5. If an email in your Gmail account has an attachment, can you access that attachment from your blackberry for more than 30 days?

If I can't manage my email in the gmail using folders the way I currently do in BIS 1.8 from my BlackBerry, then I can't transition to 2.x, so I'm screwed with the calendar until RIM comes out with a correction and AT&T releases the OS which who knows how long it will be. This means I can't do two way sync and I'm not sure about the Backup really saving them anyway either.

Thanks for your help.
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Felixtc no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: GMail, BIS 2.3 and Folders

Rcbjr,

I am currently using Gmail for my email purposes but I have never really played around with the folder options but I will see what is possible as far as creating the folders via Gmail. I am currently running 4.1.0.377 on a 7290 so creating folders and accessing them via my blackberry would be out of the question if I am not mistaken?

As for what are labels they are used to organize your messages by label name. For example: let's say you get emails for a particular client and he has a company called xyz you can create a label called xyz and in your settings any emails from that person you can automatically apply the label giving you a quick link to all his/her emails right from your sidebar in your Gmail inbox.

Majority of your questions are based upon folder interaction so I am not sure if I can help you out in that department but I hope the information I did give you helps you understand how labels work. Let me know if you have any other questions about labels.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

You can't create folders on your BB, even with 1.8. and the Pearl or Curve. You have to login to your Webclient site On a PC and create them there. Once created you can move emails back and forth but you can't change the folders.

As to lables, I thought that was what they were for and how they worked, but I was curious about the interaction on the BB. Will the Google Moble app allow you to apply and use them?

Thanks for your help
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

Felixtc no está en línea Stack level 3

After reading and trying to find a answer I am not totally sure if you will get the same interface as you would have from your laptop/desktop. Even though they mention the following we won't really know until we download the application and access the inbox that way. I would recommend setting up a few labels and do a test prior though.

Get Gmail on your mobile phone
    It's new and it's fast. To try it for yourself, point your phone to gmail.com/app

Download it once, and start accessing Gmail on your phone with just a click or two. You'll also like it because:
    It has the same Gmail interface you know and love
    Your account stays synchronized whether you access it from your computer or the phone
    You can easily view attachments such as photos, documents and .pdf files

As for having the folder option Gmail's label feature replaces the option for folders.

How do I create folders?

Actually, Gmail doesn't use folders. To help you organize your mail more effectively, Gmail uses labels instead.
    Here's why we think labels are better than folders:

Labels

A conversation can have more than one label.

A conversation can be in several locations (Inbox, All Mail, Sent Mail, etc.) at once, making it easier to find later.

You can search conversations by label.

Folders

You can only put a message in one folder.

You have to remember where you filed a message to retrieve it.

You can't always do folder-specific searches.

How do you use labels

Labels do all the work of folders and give you an extra bonus: you can add more than one to a conversation. Once you've created a label, you can view all the messages with that label by searching, or by clicking the label name along the left side of any Gmail page.
    You can easily create, edit, and delete existing labels. Here's how

To create a label:

Select the message(s) you'd like to label by checking the box(es) next to the sender's name.
    Select New label from the More Actions... drop-down menu.
    Enter the name of the new label in the text box, and click OK.
    The selected messages will automatically be categorized under the new label.

To edit a label:

Click Edit labels at the bottom of the Labels box.
    Click rename next to the label you want to edit.
    Enter the new label name, and click OK.
    All the messages categorized under your old label name will now be categorized under your new label.

To delete a label:

Click Edit labels at the bottom of the Labels box.
    Click remove label next to the label you want to delete.
    Confirm that you'd like to remove the label by clicking OK.
    * Removing a label doesn't delete the messages previously categorized with that label.
    After labeling a message or conversation, you can remove it from your inbox by archiving it. Then, you can view archived messages by clicking All Mail, or by clicking the label name along the left side of any Gmail page.
    Last edited by Felixtc; 06-07-2007 at 08:40 PM.

-Felix
    "Carpe Omnius"

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I already have an account. Thanks I'll play with it for a while and see. As of now, I don't really love the Gmail interface. It's only marginally better then the BIS 1.8 WebClient.

Richard.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

eseayen22 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20F898F0

reguardless of what everyone else has said here is how gmail works....... it uses "labels" not "folders" a label is essentially a folder except unlike folders where a message can go into 1 folder an email can have multiple labels.........

example

you get an email from your friend let's say tom and the email is work related with folders you put the email in the "work" folder or the "tom" folder........ with labels you can assign the "tom" and "work" labels to the ONE message........

was that clear??? i hope i helped answer some of your questions

oh one last thing no folders can't be created within gmail it's just labels sorry......
    Last edited by eseayen22; 06-07-2007 at 09:18 PM.
    Sean
    2038DD06

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I don't consider Labels to be anything like folders. If you tag an email, it doesn't leave the inbox, it just allows you to have a preset filter to show emails with that label. How do I view only those that don't have a label assigned.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

PIN/ID
    20F898F0

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ hmmmmm let me get back to you on that. I unfortunately don't think that's possible but I'll look into it for you......

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Thanks for the update. I'm figuring it out. I set a filter to assign anything, Well almost anything, that comes in a Star. Then I can view only those things that are starred. I Tried it with labels and that works on Gmail, but I haven't found out how to do it using gmail mobile.
    Another question on Gmail mobile. Is there anyway to assign a label from Gmail Mobile?

Again, Thanks for your help.
    Rcbjr.
    Last edited by Rcbjr; 06-08-2007 at 11:09 PM.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

PIN/ID
    20F898F0

i'm not too familiar with gmail mobile so i can't answer that......... my guess would be yes......... it would defeat the purpose of it if you couldn't label an email in gmail mobile.......
    Sean
    2038DD06

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

You would think so, but I haven't found away. You can filter by them, mark read or unread, add or remove a star, but I don't see a way to add a label like you can on the PC site.

Thanks anyway.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

mcgowan08 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

I could have sworm you could add labels through the Gmail app but I guess not, seems like it would be pretty easy for them to include in a future version, hopefully they will.
    PIN - 24053627

PIN/ID
    20F898F0

i've looked a little bit and i think you can i'll tinker with it later when i get some time and let you know what i figure out......
    Sean
    2038DD06

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I appreciate it, I've looked and played with it for a while but didn't find anything. I hope you do.

Thanks for your help.

I wonder, does Yahoo mail use Labels, Tags or Folders? anyone know?
    Thanks again.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Yahoo has folders - gmail has the labels or tags with archiving
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast