Hey guys, I have my Gmail account set up w/ BIS, and also have it ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

ajmctaggart no está en línea Stack level 3

Gmail and POP

Advertisement

Hey guys,
    I have my Gmail account set up w/ BIS, and also have it forwarding to my Tmo Email address. I dont have messages pushed by BB, I just have it set up with my BIS so I can send messages from that address.

But here is my issue, by replying to a message that has been forwarded, yes, the message will appear it was sent from my Gmail, (not Tmo) but there is no copy saved in Gmail (as expected)

If I send the message from my Gmail address using my BB, there will be a copy saved, which would solve the problem

But doesn't it seem like the Gmail and BB just don't work right? I mean every 2 days or so, I am resending Service books because messages are lagging again

I like the Gmail application, but I'm not as happy w/ the fact your address book needs to be in your Gmail account, not the one on your Berry...and there is no notification option for Gmail application

Is my only option that new reply-to program? I love my Gmail, miss my IMAP, and want an end-to-end solution on how to keep sent messages, even from my BB

miles_troope no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Gmail and POP

Quote Originally Posted by ajmctaggart
    Hey guys,
    I have my Gmail account set up w/ BIS, and also have it forwarding to my Tmo Email address. I dont have messages pushed by BB, I just have it set up with my BIS so I can send messages from that address.

But here is my issue, by replying to a message that has been forwarded, yes, the message will appear it was sent from my Gmail, (not Tmo) but there is no copy saved in Gmail (as expected)

If I send the message from my Gmail address using my BB, there will be a copy saved, which would solve the problem

But doesn't it seem like the Gmail and BB just don't work right? I mean every 2 days or so, I am resending Service books because messages are lagging again

I like the Gmail application, but I'm not as happy w/ the fact your address book needs to be in your Gmail account, not the one on your Berry...and there is no notification option for Gmail application

Is my only option that new reply-to program? I love my Gmail, miss my IMAP, and want an end-to-end solution on how to keep sent messages, even from my BB
    Is gmail not technically still beta?

I believe it is actually out of that stage, but why do you ask?

potthoff no está en línea Stack level 3

I
    like the Gmail application, but I'm not as happy w/ the fact your address book needs to be in your Gmail account, not the one on your Berry...and there is no notification option for Gmail application
    I have an address book on my gmail account but I don't have an option to use it in BB Gmail app. How do you use this?

you should just start typing the name or address and it will auto fill in the rest, make sure you're running Gmail latest release

miles_troope no está en línea Stack level 3

I believe it is actually out of that stage, but why do you ask?
    thats my excuse when it doesn't work with bb very well. If you're right then I'm gonna have to find a different excuse for the users when they call...

piezo no está en línea Stack level 1

Hey guys,

Hiya, out of curiosity why have you chosen to forward instead of having the Tmo BIS push email to your BB?

A lot of the synchronization problems you seem to be experiencing are easily resolved if you setup Gmail in BIS. While its supposed to be POP access, any messages send to your Gmail account would be sent almost instantaneously to your BB. Any replys you send will be kept as a copy in Gmail as well. Another advantage of the BIS route is that you can use your BB address book for your emails. The only disadvantage here is that you would still need to mark the messages as 'read' manually in Gmail (web or through gmail app) - but you can delete the email's immediately on the server.

So, using your Gmail setup through BIS not only gives you all the functionality that you currently have with just standard forwarding, but adds a few extra features as well.

taylor no está en línea Stack level 1

In gmail settings click 'keep copy in gmail inbox' whilst also forwarding to your TMO addy,also enable pop access which should stop you having to resend service books.

Ya, I totally understand the redundance of forwarding, AND using the BIS. I have them forwarding because I don't trust Gmail to POP correctly, at least for more than 2 or 3 days at a time. I realize plenty of people may use solely BIS and have no problem, but there is more than one server over at Google, and I am not happy w/ the BIS for Gmail.

I don't at all think this is BB's fault, all my other accounts work fine...

I think I'll just keep everything in my inbox, and use Gmail's Application to keep everything in order

I just wish that Gmail was more reliable when put on BIS

piezo no está en línea Stack level 1

Ya, I totally understand the redundance of forwarding, AND using the BIS. I have them forwarding because I don't trust Gmail to POP correctly, at least for more than 2 or 3 days at a time. I realize plenty of people may use solely BIS and have no problem, but there is more than one server over at Google, and I am not happy w/ the BIS for Gmail.

I don't at all think this is BB's fault, all my other accounts work fine...

I think I'll just keep everything in my inbox, and use Gmail's Application to keep everything in order

I just wish that Gmail was more reliable when put on BIS
    Ah its a shame you can't use Gmail/BIS push. You must have had a bad experience with for you to feel that way!

I notice you've mentioned "keeping it all in the mailbox" and "not having my emails sitting in my BB", paraphrasing here, as taylor pointed out, it is best to use Gmail POP access with the "When messages are accessed with POP to 'keep gmail's copy in inbox'". That option definitely helps, as I would only use my BB inbox to process emails - not to store them. If only I could have them counted as 'read' in Gmail then Gmail/BIS would be perfect.

You should give it another shot I can only think of one time when Gmail/BIS didn't work out so well which was a few months ago, and that affected everyone using Gmail/BIS. For the 2-3 months that I've had it setup, I really have no complaints (other than the read mail thing).

As to the issue of keeping a copy of your replies to forwarded emails, I guess you would have to cc yourself to any replies - I don't know if you could automate that in the bb email client though.

Sorry I can't offer much more than Gmail/BIS propaganda Best of luck!

joeperrin212 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    245DA445

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i use gmail as my primary email provider (I actually have multiple accounts with them) and have it pushed through bis. I have never had any issues and typically receive my emails on my BB before they show up in my inbox on my desktop. When deleting emails, I just select handheld only for any important emails so that I still have a copy in my inbox to archive.

sean350z no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Like stated above, BIS seems to be faster then even the desktop gmail app. It would be nice to have read mail in BIS show up as read on the gmail server...Having the gmail app on BB helps with clearing the gmail server but mine doesn't seem to refresh or notify me when new mail appears.