Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok for those who have been able to setup their Gmail via IMAP Is it ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Gmail and IMAP slow?

Advertisement

Ok for those who have been able to setup their Gmail via IMAP

Is it any slower than before? I find it a bit slower? I dunno. Let me know your results would like to know the consensus.

Thanks a ton

enjoytheride no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Gmail and IMAP slow?

as much as i'd love to answer your question, i still have yet to get it. does anyone think that i may be receiving IMAP slower because im on a mac and using safari?

MT
    MT no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I found it slow and canned my imap...

whsbuss no está en línea Stack level 3

Remember that using IMAP with RIM's BIS operates the same for Gmail as any other IMAP account. 15 minute polling, and no instant push. The BIS has special coding to recognize gmail and google hosted domains when setting up an account. It places a special record in their notification server to provide instant push email. If you bypass this by providing gmail IMAP settings, its just another IMAP account. If/when RIM supports IMAP-IDLE (again - and the IMAP server supports it) then instant email will function for all IMAP accounts.

stillm no está en línea Stack level 1

I set up Gmail over IMAP this morning, and found it unbearably slow... sometimes messages would take more than 30 minutes to arrive.

I'm back to what I had before, with POP (or rather that special BIS-Gmail thing that you have by default).

enjoytheride no está en línea Stack level 2

Quick question for you guys, i just set up gmail/imap on my 8800 and when i try to file an email message theres no option to file. Why is that? Oh yeah im on tmo if that helps.

whsbuss no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride

Quick question for you guys, i just set up gmail/imap on my 8800 and when i try to file an email message theres no option to file. Why is that? Oh yeah im on tmo if that helps.
    The BIS 2.x does not support filing to folders/directories. Only BES does.

PIN/ID
    STACK

Yea....like a freaking GIANT TURTLE!!! The damn Slowskis turtles from comcast!

On an upside to this IMAP thing...if you sent your service books after setting up and then went back to POP access, you still do have the Option when deleting On Mailbox & Handheld, and the other On Handheld. It works too!!!

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne

just curious... why would you use imap over pop on your handheld? i realize the benefit of the change on a desktop computer user who accesses from more than one site, but whats the benefit on the berry?

based on that, use IMAP for outlook on the computer, and also have pop enabled for the berry... no? i believe you can have both enabled, no?
    I'm a born again Androider

PIN/ID
    STACK

I'm not sure...about having both enabled.

Some people just want the reconciliation. So if it's read on the BB then you don't have to go to Gmail and mark it read also. Also the deletion from the BB. Although since I enabled IMAP and disabled it I still have the option to do so.

Just a bit of a pain to check my gmail and have to mark all the messages read again. Not a real big deal...but would be a nice time saver.

hwnstyle21 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31C83C17

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post
    Yea....like a freaking GIANT TURTLE!!! The damn Slowskis turtles from comcast!

On an upside to this IMAP thing...if you sent your service books after setting up and then went back to POP access, you still do have the Option when deleting On Mailbox & Handheld, and the other On Handheld. It works too!!!
    How did you do this? So you're getting your GMAIL push'd and also have the "delete/reconcile screen"?
    BB 8330 w/ SERO Voice Only, BIS, N/W @7pm, Pick3, Unl Text via Credits: $30 +$5 (Unl Incoming) + $7 (TEP)
    Pin: 31C83C17

PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by hwnstyle21 View Post
    How did you do this? So you're getting your GMAIL push'd and also have the "delete/reconcile screen"?

I switched my settings to IMAP then sent service books and then switch back to POP.

docholliday no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317AFEB6

The options for deleting have always been present on the Blackberry. You don't need to set up IMAP at all for that. The only thing IMAP provides is mailbox synchronization.

mrobins no está en línea Stack level 1

Aside from the push vs. pull thing, has anyone switched to IMAP and found it worth it. I REALLY hate having to reopen everything on my BB that I've already read on GMail. Are there any other solutions to this aside from IMAP?

joeya7 no está en línea Stack level 2

I found when you use gmail in IMAP your sent mail from your BB doesn't go to the sent folder in gmail.com Anyone else seem to have that problem???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast