I checked out bbforums.com for this and they have a thread there but no resolution. ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

zerokool no está en línea Stack level 1

Question External email problems. SMTP error

Advertisement

I checked out bbforums.com for this and they have a thread there but no resolution. Wondering if you all had any insight on what might be going on here.

BES 4.1.0.38 / 8 users. Various models.
    Domino 7.0.1

I have a user that cant send external emails. He gets Router: SMTP errors. He can send and receive messages from the internal domino server, but not domains like sbcglobal and such. Any idea anyone?

Example 1:
    Your message: Update
    was not delivered to: "John Doe" <jdoe@us.ibm.com>
    because: Router: Failed to connect to SMTP host US.IBM.COM because 221 2.0.0 e34.co.us.ibm.com closing connection:

Example 2:
    Your message: Update
    was not delivered to: "John Doe" <jdoe@sbcglobal.net>
    because: Router: Failed to connect to SMTP host SBCGLOBAL.NET because 221 2.0.0 ylpvm34.prodigy.net closing connection:

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: External email problems. SMTP error

hhmm thats interesting. Does your user have security settings on his pop 3 accounts? Authentication or passwords enabled....??? could be part of the issue...
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

zerokool no está en línea Stack level 1

Ok. after running a series of TESTS. which answered nothing. The user can send external emails perfectly fine with his notes client. Thats never been a problem. When sending them using his BB he will get errors. From what I can gather, they are random. Sometimes they go through, sometimes not. They appear 24 hours after he hits the send button. If he send messages internally (inside domino domain) they work fine.

I ran a series of smtpdiag from the BES server and it always went through clean. What is the freekn deal here. And no SuzzyP. No authentication or passwords enabled.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

try this:

Problem
    On a Domino 5.x SMTP server, messages fail to route via the SMTP protocol. Instead, the following error displays on the Domino server console:

"Router: Failed to connect to SMTP host <hostname> because attempt made to transfer message to self via SMTP."

Solution
    In this particular case, the following steps resolved the issue:

1. Create a group Server Configuration document with the same settings as your default Server Configuration document.
    2. List all your servers into that group document except for the following: The server with which there is a routing issue; servers that are in other groups; servers with a specific Configuration document.
    3. Eliminate your default Server Configuration document.
    4. Supporting Information:

This issue stems from the way Domino checks the Server Configuration documents. First, Domino checks for a document specific to the server. If none exists or if there are settings that are not defined in an existing document, Domino checks the group Server Configuration documents for a group in which that specific server is a member. Finally, Domino checks the default Server Configuration document.

Even if you have a server-specific or group Server Configuration document, if you don't specify all the settings, the server will go to the default document for any settings not defined. By creating a group with all the servers except the servers that have server-specific documents or that are in other groups instead of a default document, you ensure that the server will get all it's settings from the server-specific or group documents.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask