I have an itsy bitsy huge problem. I live and work currently in Romania. I ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

Osgiliath no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    201F43E3

E-Mail push while roaming

Advertisement

I have an itsy bitsy huge problem.

I live and work currently in Romania. I have a 7100v phone I received from the company I work for (which is based in Germany, originally under Vodafone DE carrier). And now the problem. I don't use the original SIM from Vodafone DE because of roaming costs so I purchased a subscription from Vodafone Romania for voice call. I had push e-mail activated on the old SIM (i don't think if it's correct what I just said, if data plan is activated on SIM or handheld) and I want to push my email onto the new sim card with the new phone number without purchasing a new BB data plan (which would ruin my finances, by the way), because I already have access to our company's.

How can I gen my e-mail sent onto this new SIM? If I send a new service book to my 7100 from the BIS interface, I never receive it (perhaps because it's a different subsidiary of the same carrier?). Because I really have to choose (the old sim with unlimited data and very very expensive voice calls or the new sim with no data and cheap voice calls), and I don't want to make this decision.

Thank you very much and I hope I did make myself clear

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: E-Mail push while roaming

remember the SIM has nothing to do with actual email. The sim is the same as a WIFI card to a laptop - it's provides the connection out. Once, your PIN and IMEI of you Blackberry is active you should be ok.

The SIM/service provider you plan on using, you may want to check out there's offers online and make sure you have the correct Blackberry service.

let us know

PIN/ID
    201F43E3

Well, I have a data plan with Vodafone Germany, but now, I use the Vodafone Romania carrier ... and sending myself the service books from the WebClient does not work.

Vodafone Romania has also a Blackberry data plan, but I am not subscribed to it (besides that it costs aboutn 40$/month for 20Mb of data which is unbelievable expensive) because I do have the other data plan.

I really don't know what to do next ... So, if you can help me with anything, all suggestions are welcomed.

Sincerely yours, Marius

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3

I think you're out of luck. You will need the Blackberry service enabled on your new SIM to get access to any BB service. The Blackberry service does not run over the standard GPRS APN for any service provider I'm aware of.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

You are right. A BlackBerry will NOT send or receive any type of message without a BlackBerry Data Plan

BryanSE79 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    You are right. A BlackBerry will NOT send or receive any type of message without a BlackBerry Data Plan
    Not 100 percent true. You can send SMS without a BB plan, as this relies on the providers network, and never passes threw RIM

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

oh ok. It's just that I've seen this question asked a lot.

PIN/ID
    201F43E3

As I have said, I do have a data plan on the original SIM. I didn't thought they they are so SIM-card-restricted, and I thought I can enable my BB subscription on another SIM from the same carrier... Well it seems I was wrong and this is pretty bad.

But, if I get a normal data plan from the carrier, will I be able to use browser/pop3 email applications and such, just by entering the APN, user/pass into BB's settings? Because otherwise, I will be eaten alive by the roaming costs ...

Thank you very much for your suggestions

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3

I think you have an issue finding a generic POP3 application for a BB.

At the end of the day, SIMs put in BB's require a BB service (APN) to be enabled on them by the carrier. This is the carrier's choice, and they do this so they can charge differently (often though not always cheaper) than for a general GPRS option.

For example in the UK on T-Mobile, it's less expensive to have a BB BIS service than a general GPRS service. When you go for a BB BIS service you get a 50MB fair use policy on the Blackberry APN (very difficult to exceed on a BB) and only a 3MB general GPRS allowance before you begin to get charged an extra 'run on' rate. If you want 'unlimited' general GPRS too, the total amount you pay is higher.

Also you need a carrier that actually supports the BB in the local country if you want a local BB service. The operator has a private connection from their network to the RIM infrastucture, so it all works. When it comes to BB, it's NOT a normal POP3 service running from the BB, and it's not like Microsoft's way of doing push either. When you use the BIS to set up email collection via POP3, it's not your BB doing it, it's the BIS doing it, and it's the BIS that then pushes the mail it collects to your BB.

If Voda is the only operator in Romania to offer a BB service, you'll just have to pay the 40$/month. I doubt (doing email) you'll manage to consume more than a few MB/month on a BB.

PIN/ID
    201F43E3

Well yes, but it's a little strange, because I will be working here for about six months, and so, I get a new BB subscription (which Vodafone only enables FOR A YEAR), then I leave and get back my old BB subscription .. it's complicated.

It's not like I have lots of emails coming from the mother company in Germany, but there are some and it's important I receive them. I would have been satisfied even by accesing the mail server via WAP ... but I cannot get my BB to connect to anything, because of the missing data plan.

So, I'm really really stuck. So, I can get a normal data plan (which would cost about 3$/month/with 10Mb quota) and still do normal browsing on the BB? I understood, without BB no email and no PIN messenging.

hyperevo8 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23D5CE5A

your solution would be to carry 2 devices. vodafone romania on a regular cell phone.. and your vodafone de sim on your blackberry for data usage only

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Does Vodafone De have an international roaming option, That may be cheaper than getting a separate plan with Vodafone Romania. But they would have to be a roaming agreement between the two.

Just a thought.
    Rcbjr