Hi Forum, I'm new to this place and Blackberries too, so hello everybody. I just ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

OliverB no está en línea Stack level 1

Question E-Mail App for POP3/IMAP via WiFi, no BIS.

Advertisement

Hi Forum,

I'm new to this place and Blackberries too, so hello everybody. I just renewed my mobile contract and opted for a 8120 Pearl II from my carrier (EPlus, Germany). After years of suffering with a P800 it seemed like a very nice idea. Nice design and plenty of desirable features. Problem is: Seemingly it does not do what I want. I know that with a BB you are usually supposed to sign up for some BIS etc., but I have no interest in that. I have no need for push and its added cost and noise, I simply want to check my E-Mail via POP3 or IMAP when I feel like it, and only do so when I have a WiFi connection available (which is often as my home DSL comes with free T-Mobile hotspot access). As EPlus sold me the device without stating in any way that it would be impossible to do this and there also is no explicit note on their website stating that you basically HAVE to pay for a BIS in order to use the device in the intended manner at all, so I assume that it must be possible in some way.

So far I have found:
    - Google Mail. I am usually not on GM but signed up as it seemed to be working on the BB. Now the GM does not work via WiFi as it seems. That of course is pretty counterproductive. Another annoyance is that one has to enter the password each time one launches the app.

- LogicMail:
    Looks good! I cannot get it to work though. Despite using correct settings, all I see are I/O Errors. This is the best one I have seen. Has Addressbook access, if slow.

- MovaMail:
    Looked like a nice solution, but is a) bog slow and b) crashes the phone ever so often. No go.

- mMail:
    More connection errors... but at least it seems to connect in some way. Nevertheless, this app doesn't even access the Addressbook. Too clunky.

If you know of any other apps I could check out please let me know. As things are, I am looking at returning the phone, although I don't really want to. It's a neat device, and I could even stomach that PocketMac is simply not working so one HAS to buy Missing Sync to get it to work with the Mac –Missing Sync is so nice I would not cry about buying it – but the E-Mail issue is pretty bad. I do not like being sold a device without being told I cannot truly use it without added cost, one feels nickled and dimed. So if you can help me out on this one I'd be most thankful.

ddmaxx007 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24243e18

Re: E-Mail App for POP3/IMAP via WiFi, no BIS.

You might want to try yahoo mail. Yahoo offers a app called yahoo GO for mobile devices, that allows you to view your emails from your yahoo account. It could be the solution that you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by ddmaxx007 View Post
    You might want to try yahoo mail. Yahoo offers a app called yahoo GO for mobile devices, that allows you to view your emails from your yahoo account. It could be the solution that you are looking for.
    Thank you. Went there, sadly it tells me the 8120 is not supported yet. Are you using this? Does it integrate with the device's addressbook, or does it rely on what you have on Yahoo?

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

I'm believe it does not integrate.
    as for your problems with mail - that is really going to be difficult. The BlackBerry was designed to only work with either BlackBerry Internet Service or Enterprise Service, not anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39 View Post
    I'm believe it does not integrate.
    as for your problems with mail - that is really going to be difficult. The BlackBerry was designed to only work with either BlackBerry Internet Service or Enterprise Service, not anything else.
    I sure have noticed that Nevertheless I find it quite amusing that such a simple and standard functionality is simply not there. I am well aware that it is part of the business model to get people into these plans, but if RIM wants a bigger share of the consumer market they will have to realize that a lot of people simply have no need or desire for the push-functionality.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by OliverB View Post
    I sure have noticed that Nevertheless I find it quite amusing that such a simple and standard functionality is simply not there. I am well aware that it is part of the business model to get people into these plans, but if RIM wants a bigger share of the consumer market they will have to realize that a lot of people simply have no need or desire for the push-functionality.
    unfortunately I don't think they will ever change that, since that is the whole purpose of a BlackBerry. For regular imap/pop3 access other devices are available. That is why BB was born to beat them with email access and have it pushed. Other features were added to the BB around this push mail, such as media player. Just don't see them "downgrading" their product.

Actually, I would consider it an upgrade. I can understand the push-appeal for the enterprise market, but as a consumer, the idea of paying extra (myself!) for the privilege of being hassled with all sorts of mail all day long is not too appealing.

The way it is, the 8120 is simply going home in a couple of days, unless I can get it to work the way I want it to. Which would be a shame, the device itself is very nice.

Ah, I think I have a solution on the horizon, and its name is Nokia E51. Sadly, it cannot keep up with the Pearl in terms of keyboard & trackball but it seemingly does everything else.

ddmaxx007 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24243e18

Oliver, did you try the BB perl choice for yahoo go. i had the Perl fro Tmobile prior to the curve I have now and have used yahoo Go on both of them.

Yahoo says "no go" upon installation.