I wanted to confirm what I just learned as I just got off the phone ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

cjarrett no está en línea Stack level 1

Deleting Email In Inbox

Advertisement

I wanted to confirm what I just learned as I just got off the phone with blackberry support. I have my blackberry with BIS configured to use my gmail account (or any of my other accounts)with IMAP. Email flow works properly, but my issue is when I delete a message out of my inbox, it doesn't delete on my blackberry. When I delete a message on my blackberry it does delete in my inbox though. The person at BB support told me this is as expected. Is this correct? It doesn't make sense if so as the whole purpose of IMAP is to be able to have multiple email clients accessing a mailbox and all kept in sync. Thanks for any input.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Its because the email has a copy sent to your email acct and your blackberry. When Blackberry does this is has the ability to delete from BB but your email does not have access to your BB secure data to do the same. Your BB sends a request every time tyou chose to delete both from your BB. If you watch you can see the data arrows showing the request being sent after you choose that option. Hope this helps . . . and feel free to post back or PM me with any questions.
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

What do you mean "the email has a copy sent to your email acct and your blackberry" All the blackberry should be doing is checking/syncing with my email account right? Also, what is the purpose of this check box in my blackberry site if it doesn't work: Synchronize deleted items between this mailbox and my device. It's checked, but not working.

whsbuss no está en línea Stack level 3
    The main reason is because not all IMAP servers support enhanced-IDLE which provides read/unread status from the server to the client/device. I have the same issue w/gmail. When I read a message on my blackberry, it updates the web-based mailbox. However in outlook I never see the update.

What I am not sure of is if the IMAP server has enhanced-IDLE, will the BIS provide the update to the BB? From what I've read at RIM support site, I don't think so. Hope this helps.

Forgot to mention that eventually deleted messages from the inbox will be deleted on the BB - with gmail it can take up to 6 hours.
    Last edited by whsbuss; 09-09-2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Add'l Info

That makes more sense. However it started working. I removed my troublesome imap account from my BB again, not my gmail one which I don't really care about. I re-added and verified I checked the box that said to delete on mailbox and handheld, on the site. Wasn't working still, so I selected the "send service books" link on the site and shortly after that it started working, almost realtime also. I can read a message on my BB, and in my mail client about 15 secs later it shows as read, same if I delete it. I'm using zimbra as a mail server also.

Quote Originally Posted by cjarrett View Post
    I can read a message on my BB, and in my mail client about 15 secs later it shows as read, same if I delete it. I'm using zimbra as a mail server also.
    Stupid me, this is known to work, wasn't thinking right. But of course it doesn't work the other way around.