Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey All, How do I set up my BB and/or work and personal e-mail to ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

Tobin8r no está en línea Stack level 1

Deleting e-mail

Advertisement

Hey All,

How do I set up my BB and/or work and personal e-mail to be able to delete from one spot? Currently, I have to delete each message on the handheld messages, then handheld e-mail and then from the e-mail website.

Thanks in advance.

Tobin8r

msbrenda64 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Not familiar with BES but for BIS go to the email program on BB select Options>Email Reconciliation you can choose each email account select delete on mailbox and handheld, Wireless Reconcile On, and On Conflicts Handheld wins.

This is what I do so when I delete a email it automatically deletes it from the email website as well.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

This will only work for IMAP.

POP3 email is different, and will not function in this manner.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis

This will only work for IMAP.

POP3 email is different, and will not function in this manner.
    Lewis maybe you can elaborate and give examples of some Imap and pop3 accounts to see which ones may apply to the user. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin8r
    Hey All,

How do I set up my BB and/or work and personal e-mail to be able to delete from one spot? Currently, I have to delete each message on the handheld messages, then handheld e-mail and then from the e-mail website.

Thanks in advance.

Tobin8r
    Here is a link that explains Pop3 and IMap accounts quite nicely, this info may be helpful. http://www.entourage.mvps.org/glossary/pop_imap.html

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Tobin8r, Welcome to PinStack.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

That article listed above does a great job of explaining the differences between POP and IMAP.

POP was not designed to be used, ideally, on more than one computer. The mail is not left on the server indefinitely, as it is with IMAP.

As well, if a message is read or replied to from various clients (work computer, home computer, or BlackBerry), POP is not equipped to reflect all these changes to message status.

IMAP is designed to do all of this.

With POP and BlackBerry all your email will be read, or unread if the option is available from your mail provider, on your main computer, regardless of the status on your BlackBerry. If a message is sent from the BlackBerry on POP, a copy or a BCC must be sent to the POP if you want a record of this on the main computer.

But with IMAP and BlackBerry, this is all seamless and integrated.

jhowle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3115EE05
    when i delete messages with my 7290 on cingular i get a pop up that appears with messages less than 1 day old that asks if i want to delete mesages from just the hand held or both the handheld and the mail box. is this the same thing or something totally different

PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

It's related, but not the same thing.

And the ability of BIS to delete email from a POP3 server depends wholly upon the server permitting such an action.

However, POP3 has improved over the years, but it still does not offer the supreme flexibility and control which IMAP affords.

jhowle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3115EE05
    this is unrelated, but i am using this program called eCHeckRegister to manage my checking account and it has the ability to send MS Excel format files of activity to an e-mail address. I am with cingular and i have no idea what it is looking for but this is what it wants:

SMTP Host:
    Requires Authentication
    _Yes
    _No
    User Name:
    Password:
    Email:

Any idea what this should be. i have tried everything i can find on the internet but to no e-vail

PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

Is this program specifically for BlackBerry?

SMTP is a mail server. The rest is all dependent upon what SMTP server you are using.

Do you have yahoo? You could try to use that SMTP server.

Does the company who wrote the program have a support department? Might be good to contact them.

If it were software on a computer, that's totally different, because then using an SMTP is a simple thing. But on a BlackBerry I just don't see how that would work, or why the app wasn't coded to use the email of the BlackBerry to send its reports.

nkunkel no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Deleting e-mail

I just read through this thread and it doesn't appear that the original question was ever fully resolved. I am having the same problem as well, specifically:

When I delete email from my computer (using IMAP and BB8100 via BIS), that email does not delete from my BB handheld. This is really frustrating as I then have to manually delete all those same emails from my handheld -- seeming counter-untuitive to the whole point of having IMAP in the first place.

I already have my handheld set to "Delete on Mailbox & Handheld" with wireless reconcile "On" and on conflicts "Mailbox wins"; but still my emails stay on my handheld after deleting from my computer.

Is it simply that this only works using BES? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Again you are not missing something. BIS reconciliation with IMAP servers is one way only. Deletes on the BB will be reconciled with the Server and therefore with the Desktop client. Deletes on the Desktop Client, will not be propigated to the BB. It's the limitation of the BIS connection with the IMAP server.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

nkunkel no está en línea Stack level 1

So, essentially IMAP via BIS functions more as a POP account. I used to have an SDA which only ran POP, but what happened is that when I deleted an email from my inbox on my computer, it would then be removed from my SDA, since the POP account only saw what was on the server. Point being, would I get that same functionality on my BB if I switch the BIS account to a POP-style account?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast