So at the worst time tonight, when I really needed TeleNav GPS, I thought my ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

CrunchDude no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Data was down on 3G...is there a way to force BB's onto 2G (EDGE)???

Advertisement

So at the worst time tonight, when I really needed TeleNav GPS, I thought my Bold had been affected, as I had dropped my it earlier in the dat. However, it wasn't a bad "fall" at all, but as it was happening, I still thought "Ohh SHHHH****", but it was AT&T's 3G network.

Voice was fine. It sure is interesting how we're all becoming reliant on all of our gizmos. In my case, I have become reliant, obsessed, and addicted, a LONG time ago, along with many of you I'm sure...

Anyway, so AT&T, as we all know, forbids manual network selection, including forcing the BlackBerry Bold on 3G whenever available. However, EDGE would have been great to fall back on in my case. It displayed 3G, nothing but 3G, and then some more, and I am certainly not complaining! It would be great, though, to have 2G/EDGE when 3G is messed up, even for only the half hour that it was earlier this evening.

When I go overseas, manual network selection is always available, and in London, for example, I counted them, and had to scroll down to see all of the ELEVEN networks that I could choose from. In reality, there were "only" five carriers involved, but I was able to choose 2G or 3G for every network that had 3G, so in that case, all but one.

Is there a way to force 2G in the U.S. on AT&T??
    It's all about the Berry! BlackBerry Bold 9000 OS 5.0.0.314 w/ BBM 5.0.0.33...works like a final build| ...awaiting release of BlackBerry Bold 9700 w/ HSPA 7.2! :D

ericjackson no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM Me
    No I don't think it is possible cause att has that option locked...

~via smartphone~

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    So at the worst time tonight, when I really needed TeleNav GPS, I thought my Bold had been affected, as I had dropped my it earlier in the dat. However, it wasn't a bad "fall" at all, but as it was happening, I still thought "Ohh SHHHH****", but it was AT&T's 3G network.

Voice was fine. It sure is interesting how we're all becoming reliant on all of our gizmos. In my case, I have become reliant, obsessed, and addicted, a LONG time ago, along with many of you I'm sure...

Anyway, so AT&T, as we all know, forbids manual network selection, including forcing the BlackBerry Bold on 3G whenever available. However, EDGE would have been great to fall back on in my case. It displayed 3G, nothing but 3G, and then some more, and I am certainly not complaining! It would be great, though, to have 2G/EDGE when 3G is messed up, even for only the half hour that it was earlier this evening.

When I go overseas, manual network selection is always available, and in London, for example, I counted them, and had to scroll down to see all of the ELEVEN networks that I could choose from. In reality, there were "only" five carriers involved, but I was able to choose 2G or 3G for every network that had 3G, so in that case, all but one.

Is there a way to force 2G in the U.S. on AT&T??
    It wasn't just 3G that was down. I had BBM and PIN capability tonight, but no other data functionality on my 3G Bold, Edge 8900, or CDMA 8330. I think it was a BIS issue as none of the BB people at the Edmonton Twestival had internet connections to update their twitters.... All the iPhone people were fine (3G). We looked like donkey-butts because of it.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

zakz no está en línea Stack level 3
    I run the diagnostic test on network connections n I got this log..

Radio Data activation:Yes
    Signal Level: -69dBm
    Radio access: EDGE
    Network: AT$T
    IP address: xx.xx.xx.x
    ICMP ping echo: Yes

Blackberry registration: No
    Connected to blackberry: No
    Blackberry PIN-PIN: No

All email addresses: No connection.

So it seems like it was just the BIS that was affected as Sirthinks said..
    It would be good to have an option to change from 3G to 2G tho.

CrunchDude no está en línea Stack level 3
    Can I get that diagnostic tool anywhere? I can't believe there's no hack for forcing the Bold onto EDGE.

At least it virtually never happens, and 3G seems on eeeeverywhere I go. I was just unlucky.
    It's all about the Berry! BlackBerry Bold 9000 OS 5.0.0.314 w/ BBM 5.0.0.33...works like a final build| ...awaiting release of BlackBerry Bold 9700 w/ HSPA 7.2! :D

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    ~via smartphone~

AT&T removes the ability to force the phone into 2G mode. If you, like I am, were on Rogers (Canada) you would have the ability.

To run diagnostics:

question:*"how do i run diagnostic report"answer:

Run a diagnostic report
    1. In the device options, click Mobile Network.
    2. Press the Menu key.
    3. Click Diagnostics Test.
    4. Press the Menu key.
    5. Click Run.

The complete result will look like this:

Starting Time Stamp: February 14, 2009 12:18 AM
    Ending Time Stamp: February 14, 2009 12:19 AM
    PIN: 209444de
    MSISDN:
    Device Type: BlackBerry 9000
    Application Version: v4.6.0.228
    Platform Version: 4.0.0.192
    Service Books: LbsConfig,OTASL,BBIMConfig,YHO,BBIMConfig,BBIMConf ig,BBIM,BBIM,CMIME,CMIME,CICAL,CICAL,WPTCP,Browser Config,WAPPushConfig,WPTCP,BrowserConfig,BrowserCo nfig,MMS,WAP,BrowserConfig,IPPP,BrowserConfig,Brow serConfig,BrowserConfig,IPPP,BrowserConfig,Browser Config,BrowserConfig,BrowserConfig,BrowserConfig,B rowserConfig,BrowserConfig,PROVISIONING
    Free File Space: 36196325 bytes
    Radio Data Activation: Yes
    Signal Level: -80 dBm
    Radio Access: EDGE
    Network: Rogers Wireless
    IP Address: 10.184.117.248
    ICMP Ping Echo: Yes
    BlackBerry Registration: Yes
    Connected to BlackBerry: Yes
    BlackBerry PIN Email: Yes
    Server Name: GBISXNAC01S04
    Email Address: jwinslow@rogers.blackberry.net
    Connection to jwinslow@rogers.blackberry.net : Yes
    Server Name: GBISXNAC01S05
    Email Address:
    Connection to : No
    Last edited by Sirthinks; 02-14-2009 at 03:26 AM.