Hi, my company are starting to support end users with BBs. I've been given a ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

jamesdawson no está en línea Stack level 1

Changing messaging options (via it poliicy?)

Advertisement

Hi, my company are starting to support end users with BBs. I've been given a 8310 which used to be on a BES. I've followed a guide to remove the IT policy and update the OS to 4.5, so i can play around with all the various options of a factory released one and also the locked down versions that the users will be seeing.

I'm not really a BB user and i've got my own SIM in the BB at the moment. Because it's my SIM i dont want to use email or have a BB data package (as i'll have to pay the bill). i have a few questions which i hope people can help me with

1) having removed the IT policy and upgraded to 4.5, i have no option to send MMS messages. i have options for PIN, email or SMS, but not MMS. is this becasue i need to have an entry in the service book (it almost sounds like i have a clue what i'm talking about there!!). I have been told that to send MMS via BB you need to have a data package (unlike a normal mobile). is this true?

2) i want to remove or hide the "send PIN" option from the messaging menu - as it was when the IT policy was installed. can this be done? i do not have the device on a BES and dont want to add it back to a BES. i want this one to be totally free from anything (we're going to use it to o development work on as well so need to install 3rd party apps, etc)

3) can you create it policy files with specific requireements such as point 2 WITHOUT the BES?

4) as i dont want to use email (i know that sounds stupid with a blackberry) or the internet does that mean i can't use MMS messages on this device?

thanks in advance

james

wleef33 no está en línea Stack level 1
    What Service provider are you using? If it's Sprint, they don't have MMS so the option won't be available.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    ~via 8120 (wap.pinstack.com)~

Questions 1 and 4:

If you want to send MMS you need the BlackBerry Internet Service package.

Question 2:

The Send PIN option cannot be removed. Without the data plan, you will be unable to use this option.

Question 3:

You cannot create policies on a BIS.

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I'm in the UK. the BB was originally with Orange UK but they kindly removed the SIM lock for me. My SIM is with O2. They do support BBs. i guess i need to setup a data plan with them in order to use MMS with the BB then.

i have access to a corporate BES. can i create a policy on it and then copy it to the device (ie like the guide on this form that i can't link to becaue i dont have permissions)

can i edit the .bin file?

the IT policy for the end users definelty disables the PIN option - i assume it's "Allow Peer-to-peer messaging" being set to false under device only items.

just a quick query - i appreciate that i can't send MMS without the BB data plan now, but should i be able to see the topion anyway in the menus? i dont even get that. the IT policy it had prevsiously did have "Disable MMS set to true". could there be some settings left over from the old IT policy?

thanks

james

Just to let you guys know what i've been doing - i've been playing with policy files. there are indeed options to disable the Peer to peer pin messaging. Also in the policy you can set allow wapconfig to true. For my SIM card this has enabled the compose MMS option in the messaging.

i have to be honest, i'm prety impressed with the managability offered via IT policies on the BES. It's very interesting to learn about.