I have always worked for companies that use the BES server so I am new ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

smokentek no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Cannot figure out how users are accessing corporate emai

Advertisement

I have always worked for companies that use the BES server so I am new to using the BIS. Here is my issue:

I have 5 or 6 users that can connect to their email accounts using the BIS but I DO NOT have pop3 opened up to the outside world on our corporate firewall. I just did a telnet to port 110 on the email servers public IP and it won't connect so I am pretty sure they are not accessing corporate email using pop3. We do have OWA setup and I thought they might be configuring OWA connections but they are just typing in their email address, username and password and the accounts connect.

Do the phone carriers BIS setups automatically configure OWA access without typing in the URL page for OWA?

I did find a mail connector service installed on a server but it is not started. Any help with this would be appreciated. I need to start making some changes and I don't want to screw up the users blackberry access.

Thanks
    MikeN

blkbryadict no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Cannot figure out how users are accessing corporate emai

Doesn't RIM make mail forwarding software that is installed and configured at the client? It acts as a conduit thru firewalls.
    Last edited by blkbryadict; 10-31-2007 at 07:29 PM. Reason: typo

russcrypto no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I use BIS to access my work mail via OWA. I've been able to do this since BIS v2.0. I've never had to enter any information other than my address and password. I think automatic OWA configuration has been a BIS feature for a while now.

smokentek no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks for the info russcrypto. That is exactly the answer I was looking for. I thought it might be using automatic OWA configuration but all of the documents I found online still talk about putting the web page and account name in.

I do have OWA setup so that must be how it is working. Thanks again for your reply!

blkbryadict you are correct RIM makes a blackberry mail connector that can be downloaded and run on a corporate machine that is always connected to the lan and it will forward the messages. I even read today on the BB support site that you can configure it to share the load and fwd for more than one user. I did have that installed on a server but I disabled that service a long time ago

What a great forum for solving problems! Thanks guys