This is all purely hypothetical, but even if it never happens, I'd like to know ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

Instrumentality no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    22C7107B

Blackberry with no data plan.

Advertisement

This is all purely hypothetical, but even if it never happens, I'd like to know the answer.

So, I do actually have two blackberries right now, a 9000 and an 8800. My dad right now is using some stripped down Nokia, and we are both on AT&T.

Lets say that his phone gets smashed, but the SIM card is intact. If I have him pop his SIM card with a voice-only plan into my old Blackberry, I'd expect it to work. The question is, will he rack up charges as things try to connect?

He has no interest in using a phone for anything but making calls. So, would the phone just fail to connect to BIS, and no data would move, or would he just get charged a small fortune?

I guess some programs can use WAP/TCP, but lets say they're either not switched on or I deleted them.

I'm just wondering if the base Blackberry software would go nuts trying to phone home, and whether it would succeed.

jjdm858 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Cheers!
    They ok and will work as phone only buy if the BB are wifi it might pick up extra charges. I would recommend to have the internet turned off so it will not rack up some "extra data" charges. Hope this help
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    The wifi connection has nothing to do with the data plan. You can use wifi on the device and not accrue any charge as far as I understand it.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    If he is going to use the device as a phone only-no data, SMS, or MMS, then he will be charged only for what minutes are on his/your plan. Unless of course, he exceeds the alotted minutes.

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    I have a bb for phone and text message use only, wifi enabled and used every day, no exttra charge for nothing...

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Blackberry will not allow a connection to the internet without a data plan or wi fi. Some Berries, will send mms messages without data. My pearl won't but when I have really good signal strength mt 8310 will.