Could someone please clarify how BIS works exactly? When I use it for GMAIL for ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

eshpin no está en línea Stack level 1

Question BIS Clarification

Advertisement

Could someone please clarify how BIS works exactly? When I use it for GMAIL for instance, is the email getting 'pushed' to my BB or is it polling for it? In another post I just put up I mentioned that I could set up my corporate email through BIS (although I'm not exactly sure how or why this works) - is this 'push email'? Thanks

eshpin no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: BIS Clarification

Ok so after reading a little more I'm starting to understand - BIS does push the email to the BB (does anyone know how often BIS polls for the email before pushing new arrivals the BB?). Also I read that the reason I can use BIS to access my corporate email is similar to how one can access their email through the online outlook client - does this sound correct?

Sorry for all these crazy questions, Im just trying to get everything set up properly and find out if I need to cancel my corporate plan and just use the personal email through BIS. Thanks!

gkg3059 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    204bd5f7

Well if you have several accounts on your BB you can test the time that emails take. Send any email to yourself to any of the accounts on your phone.
    Let's see!

Well if you have more than one account on your BB you can test the time that emails take. Send any email to yourself to any of the accounts on your phone.
    Let's see!
    Last edited by gkg3059; 09-28-2007 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Automerged.

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

BIS will poll your email accounts every 15 minutes. If it finds email to push, it will then poll the account every two minutes searching for new mail. If it locates another email after that two minutes, it pushes the mail and resets the two minute cycle. Once it polls and finds nothing, it resets to the 15 minute polling until another email is found and pushed. You get the idea I'm sure.

Gmail is an instant push. Yahoo and other services haven't signed on with RIM yet for the instant push feature but are working that direction.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

the delay to get an email is up to 15 minutes so yeah it's getting better for the most part my email gets there fast. on my bes account it usually hits on my device before it hits on my desktop