Hello everyone, Long time lurker, first time poster, and as usual for us, it's with ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

ego1138 no está en línea Stack level 2

BIS Blocking Personal Email Acct. Forwarded To @rogers.blackberry.net

Advertisement

Hello everyone,
    Long time lurker, first time poster, and as usual for us, it's with a problem.

My situation is this . . . my cell service is with Rogers in Canada. I have a personal email domain hosted on a Linux box, running Sendmail, out of Vancouver. I have a forwarder rule set up on this box to forward everything that comes to this email address over to my whatever@rogers.blackberry.net account. That R.B.N account is the one associated with my Pearl . . . . so, that I can keep the email address I've been using for 15 years, and life is good.

This has worked without a hitch for 6 months, as long as I've had the BB.

This past weekend, I was no longer receiving emails (to my personal account), on the BB. If I sent directly to the @r.b.net account, it went through no problem (but, obviously, that's not the email that everyone knows to get me on).

So, I presumed that the forwarding was broken somehow. That wasn't the case however. I check the logs on the Linux box . . forwarding is fine. I even set it up to send to a third account to verify, and yes, the forwarding is working fine. So it's not that.

I spoke with the hosting company, they also tell me all is working fine, there's nothing they can do. The email is being forwarded away from their domain, and obviously they cannot track it past that point. This makes sense to me given everything I've seen.

Today I spoke with Rogers, my cell provider. I explained the situation. They tell me there's nothing they can do, that all this is controlled by RIM. Their best guess is that for some reason, RIM is blocking the emails from my domain (or email address) from coming in. (this is actually affecting 2 BB users on this domain, both set up the same way) Rogers sent me an email outlining steps to secure a mail server . . all of which have been met by my hosting company. They pointed me to www.senderbase.org to check the rating of my server. It comes back as neutral.

So, at the end of the call, Rogers pretty much washed their hands of it saying that it's RIM's problem, they have no control over it, and their best guess is that the neutral rating is enough for RIM to block the emails coming in (even though this has been the same for the past 6 months). I asked if I could be whitelisted, either by account or server, they said no, that they couldn't do it, and have no ability to get RIM to do it. They told me to send email to help@blackberry.net and see if they would do it.

I received an email back from them saying they won't talk to me unless I pay for a support call.

So . . . I'm just completely lost as to where to turn next. I've got 3 companies in the mix. All of them with a fairly good excuse as to why it can't be their fault, and no one will do anything because they say it's someone else's fault.

I have no idea where to go next on this issue and was hoping maybe some of the fine gurus here who's posts have helped me over the last few months might be able to weigh in.

Thanks
    Jer

acrtkweyeytrwry no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    206c06c7
    Curious. have you tried setting up the rogers BIS to pull the email from the actual email server itself. Much like you would have it pull from an AOL or yahoo email account?

If the email account can be accessed in this manner then it should be totally fine and should continue as it ahould.

So have the device do the pull? I don't subscribe to the data service, so, not sure if that's needed for that kind of setup or not. I can give it a shot . . . although I'm curious as to what exactly that would prove? Because that would be using a whole different set of technologies, would it not? (It would also mean I wouldn't be getting the instantaneous push emails too, correct?)

markgallant no está en línea Stack level 3
    well if you receive to your rogers email you must pay for data service...atleast email....you don't need browsing. YOu need to be able to access the account externally by POP or IMAP in order to set it up for polling. And no it isn't instant but it wouldn't be any more then a 15 minute delay for polling

Rogers has a $15 unlimited email only plan . . . no data, just email. That's what I subscribe to.
    And yes, I can set up my account externally with POP and it seems to work . . . but, I routinely receive timely alerts so, in the long run, it really isn't the right solution for me in this case.

What I'm more wondering about is . . . where I should be focussing my efforts to get this fixed up? RIM won't talk to me without forking over money, which I'd rather not do if they're just going to give me lip service about how it's not their problem. Rogers won't talk to me anymore saying there's nothing they can do. My hosting company's fed up with talking to me as they're convinced it's not their issue.

I just don't know the infrastructure enough to press any one of them to definitively say that yes it is company X's problem, and what the problem even is.

markgallant no está en línea Stack level 3
    Rogers should be able to transfer you up to RIM. They do have this ability I know of people who have had it done and its usually not that hard. I find it strange that they are refusing to get RIM involved in the issue. Have you tried maybe speaking to a supervisor or something with Rogers and see if they can escalate it up to RIM?