If I enable a BIS account (gmail for example) on my BB 8830 that uses ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3

BIS and BES

Advertisement

If I enable a BIS account (gmail for example) on my BB 8830 that uses BES for corporate email, will the BIS emails then also go through the BES?

icancn2u no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: BIS and BES

Wifi,
    From what I hear outgoing messages could very well go the BES. A lot of this depends on the security of your BES security and IT policies. I have heard that some BES restrict such activities and you may not be able to send messages.

So how does BIS work then? My understanding was that it used the mobile phone (carrier) data network, NOT the BES.

It does use the the data network, but if you are connected to BES, then they can restrict activities and dictate the IT policy that your device follows.
    I know it is about clear as mud, but maybe later one of BES experts will be online and can give you a clearer understanding than I can

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro

Once you are connected to a BES, you are no longer anonymous. Simple as that. IT policies dictate what you can and cannot see or do from your device as well.

Ok, so lets assume my IT policy allows me to access BIS email. Is this email then going through the BES or will it still use the cellular data network? Assuming it will use the BES just like my regular work email, I might as well simply keep my Gmail standalone application (as I dont beleive this goes through the BES!).

It depends on how they ( your company) as set things up. They may allow the BIS to route around the BIS or it may everything to go through the server.

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro

Correct, just because they can see everything doesn't mean that they do. They can see everything if they choose, but they may not set it up that way to save server resources, etc.

Got it. They cant see anything thats not tied to the BES however (such as the standalone Gmail app) correct?