Just another word of advise regarding the backup software, our company uses Norton Ghost (mentioned above) with no complaints, however there is a good comparison write up at http://www.techsupportalert.com/driv...ng-reviews.htm

I did like one comment in the review which was to check the image that you have just backed up to make sure there are no errors, the last thing you want to do is to have a problem then when you try to restore the image it doesn't work Also you have to make a boot cd so if you don't have a cd writer this could be a problem. I aliked the sound of Acronis True Image as it appeared to be cleaner.

Good luck with it. I must admit that I had a similare problem to you Roger in that my hard drive/computer was damaged in a shipment, I had backed up all my data but not the software, when they put a new hardrive on, I was unable to use the Windows XP disks as they did not match the hard drive so in the end I bought Windows 7, then purchased the latest version of Office (through my company), then I had to add more memory so Windows would work, in the end it would have been easier to buy a new computer . I would definitely look at going 64 bit instead of 32 bit if you have the option.