Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Originally Posted by RogerG Geez, Chris.....you totally lost me there! LOL! Tread softly, Roger. I ... Linux OS forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Geez, Chris.....you totally lost me there! LOL!
    Tread softly, Roger. I tried running Linux (Ubunto, I think) on my P-C a year or more ago and I just could NOT conquer it. You can actually install it on the same system where you run your Windows system and boot either - I forget how all that happens but it's out there if you search enough. I had some help from some (then) PS users but I never got it to a usable lever. If you had a close. knowledgeable (and accessible) friend I'd say go for it but,

my advise is to take another direction, like get your Windows system going and backup, backup, backup...offline and OFTEN! Good luck.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Y'know what Rog? Stick with what you have and what you know.
    I've got a headache after reading all this...

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Yeah, I'm stickin' with what I know.

And that's great advise, JB. Gonna have to invest in some backup software. Thankfully I am able to retrieve most of my data from my external drive, including about 90-100 gigs of music!

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I used ububtu 10.4 before and I loved it. But to be honest with you I had to go back to xp then upgraded to win7 because there was no way in hell I wouldve upgraded to vista. Worst OS ever. Or you could always run a dual boot. Ububtu and win7
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

Well, thanks to you, C, I'll be up and running on Win7 and Outlook 2010 here shortly.

Check your IM, by the way. Had to cancel the transfer. You'll have to resend later, if you don't mind. Tether is too slow.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Hey learning new things keeps you young. I am currently using a dual boot system, with Windows 7 64 bit and Linux Red Hat Enterprise workstation. The Linux side is not the easiest, mainly since it is more for scientific software and having the abilty to address each of the CPU's. However as indicated earlier there are some pretty good versions of Linux out there which are quicker to pick up and closer to Windows style. The most important thing is they are free, and a lot of the software because it is open source is free, which is a major plus over buying an Apple where you are more tied down by Steve.

As they say horses for courses, much as I like the look of the Apple computers and their general GUI, I think they are better for desktop publishing and for those of us who are willing to spend the extra bucks, for you average joe like myself PC's are cheap, fast, customizable, upgradeable, and have a plethoria of software to use on them, Windows 7 is good but a lot more expensive than Linux.
    In the end it is worth a try, if you don't like it, you haven't lost anything other than your time. Your can always partition you drive and put it on one partition and have Windows on another

Yeah, I'll do that eventually, Dave. But for now, I need my Windows system back up and running, then I can play with the Linux stuff.

Anybody recommend some good backup software?

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Yes you right Dave. It's all true.
    But you got me grasping for my pills now...
    Age, y'know?

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Playing with Red Hat at the moment, pulling my hair out (that way the grey doesn't show ). Windows 7 has backup software built in, and of course there are hard drives out there which can have the one touch button to make backup simple clickfree for example. I prefer Seagate and use their software, the drives now hold so much data , even have ones that can connect over wifi which you can back your Ipad up to! Good luck

I'm talking about when the whole drive crashes, like what happened to me. They couldn't recover ANYTHING off the hard drive. I need software to make an image of the hard drive, including the OS.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Since I've found this thread late and see that other posters have already offered some great advice re: Linux, I'll answer the backup software question.

http://www.acronis.com/backup-recovery/

Norton Ghost

Macrium Reflect
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc65 View Post
    The only bad thing about fedora which is a good distro is that it is a cutting edge so to speak distro and can have alot of problems, but ubuntu, is primarily a gnome desktop which will take some getting used to, openSUSE is a kde desktop which is polished distro but alot is personal preference

but like i said if you have cdr's laying around i would just try some distros out and see which you like and fits your needs and when you find it stick with it.

as far as crossover office i've tryed it years ago not to impressed with it, but it might have changed since then
    Ubuntu 11.04 is the last version of Ubuntu that will have the Gnome desktop. It is still available, but they are going to switch over to the Unity desktop completely on all of the later versions.

If you like Ubuntu but dislike Unity, Linux Mint is a good distro. http://www.linuxmint.com/

Download link is here.
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Since I've found this thread late and see that other posters have already offered some great advice re: Linux, I'll answer the backup software question.

http://www.acronis.com/backup-recovery/

Norton Ghost

Macrium Reflect
    I was wondering when you'd get to this thread.

Thanks for the links.

PIN/ID
    no more
    I was wondering when you'd get to this thread.

Thanks for the links.
    You're welcome.

I hope you get everything up and running smoothly again.
    Laura

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I'm talking about when the whole drive crashes, like what happened to me. They couldn't recover ANYTHING off the hard drive. I need software to make an image of the hard drive, including the OS.
    Try a look at Acronis True Image, Roger. I think it does that.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast