Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A couple of weeks ago I decided to try Linux on my Eee PC netbook, ... Linux OS forum

Thumbs up No More Windows!

Advertisement

A couple of weeks ago I decided to try Linux on my Eee PC netbook, and although very inexperienced with it discovered it was very easy to partition the HD and set up a dual-boot with MeeGo and Win7. After trying them side-by-side for 5 or 6 days, I took both my Netbook and my desktop and installed Ubuntu 10.04 on both and completely got rid of Windows. I couldn't be happier, although still new at Linux. Both computers are much faster and run a lot better, and I'm discovering Linux with the Gnome "shell" (I guess you'd call it) is very intuitive. I will never go back to Windows again. I'm excited about learning this new os . . .

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I know how you feel dude. I'm running ubuntu 10.4 as well. Install Cairo dock and install the theme called mac4lin for it. It'll make it look and feel exactly like a Mac. I live my homescreen. I'll take a pic and post it later. I know how to install it as well if you have any problems. Not much terminal work to do just a few clicks here and there and also some tweaking here and there. . Enjoy the OS dude. If you miss your pc games you can always install POL play on Linux to run them on Linux just like you used to on windows
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Here's a screenie of my desktop

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Hey all! Thats a pretty nice looking desktop there, I've install ubuntu 10.04 as well when it came out and I am extremely pleased, I'm dual booting with W7 on my Vaio I am this close to taking it off and going straight up Linux. I've already replaced windows with Ubuntu on my other notebook that my LilOne uses... I'm new to Linux but it is in my opinion way better than W7.

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Boi, that was quick just installed Cairo-Dock, it has some nice Themes included...

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Yessir! Also download mac4lin theme from sourceforge I think google mac4lin and go with the first choice to download from and save it then I'll walk u thru it

The biggest difference right now is on the desktop. It is a 7 or 8 year old IBM PC that ran Windows 2000. It was slow, cumbersome, took forever to boot up and shut down. Error messages and freezes and probably viruses . . .We were considering buying a new computer, or at least a newer Windows version. The OS was so old that we could not install new software or hardware. Installing Ubuntu 10.04 on this machine literally resurrected it - now it is nimble, fast, we can finally install our new printer we got for Christmas, it's like a new computer! And for free!

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Free's always good

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Im going to try this on our old desktop. Wish me luck. I may need help.

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Good luck missy

Got it on the PC, but it partitioned. What if I want it to replace windows? How do I do that? Also downloaded Mac4Lin. Where do I go from there?

Do I still need to install a firewall/Virus like Norton?

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Download ubuntu and then burn it to a disk. Then place the cd in the DVD or cd tray restate your pc press the delete key I think it was then set the cd rom to be the first bootable device then let it run press enter then you should be prompted with the choices to either install ubuntu and what not. You may select to run it and uninstall xp won't take long either just minutes.

I dl'd it to USB because the disc wasn't big enough and that's how I dl'd it to the older PC.

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Did you install it yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast