Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I do know the person that created Barry is pretty intent on getting everything up ... Linux OS forum

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

I do know the person that created Barry is pretty intent on getting everything up and running. From what I've read, the 8830 doesn't play nice with Barry (which could be cause of some of my problems). Unfortunately, Blackberries have only recently been geared towards the general consumers so it will probably be a little while before we have a fully functioning software package (unless the good people at RIM realize that MacOS is really just a flavor of unix and the code can be ported with a little bit of programming.....) It's things like this that keeps Linux down in the desktop market. All I can say is give it time, it will all come around eventually.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    It's funny you mention the desktop market. I just read the other thread about the Linux-based BES and I'm really surprised that RIM has not offered at least a BES server for Linux. With all the companies out there relying on Blackberrys and you're going to tell me they all run Windows? I'm sure more than a few have to have dedicated Windows servers just for their Blackberrys and Linux for everything else.
    That said, with competition coming out with all kinds of solutions to fill the gaps that RIM has been lacking in such as Linux BES, advanced media players, syncing, etc. It's can only show RIM what their consumers want and give them impetus to get in gear to make it happen. If RIM doesn't want to be just a hardware company like HTC, then they'll come around.
    Quote Originally Posted by tavella81 View Post
    I do know the person that created Barry is pretty intent on getting everything up and running. From what I've read, the 8830 doesn't play nice with Barry (which could be cause of some of my problems). Unfortunately, Blackberries have only recently been geared towards the general consumers so it will probably be a little while before we have a fully functioning software package (unless the good people at RIM realize that MacOS is really just a flavor of unix and the code can be ported with a little bit of programming.....) It's things like this that keeps Linux down in the desktop market. All I can say is give it time, it will all come around eventually.

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I believe RIM chose to use MS Exchange as the backbone as many major corporations use Exchange. This leads back to the statement I made that it hasn't been so long that they targeted business end users and not general consumers. Most corporations use Microsoft products mainly. My company uses a mixture now. All of our desktops run XP, but more of our application servers have been switched to Linux. MS Exchange still powers and will probably power our email forever. Mr. Gates sits on the board for my parent company.. Hey Bill, tell Warren I say hello.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    With tavella's help, I've installed VMware Workstation, and installed Ubuntu 8.04 OS in it. I've been stuck for a couple of days trying to install VMware Tools.

The situation:

1) I have the virtual machine up, with Ubunto running. At the bottom is the msg: "VMware Tools is not installed in this guest. Choose "Install VMware Tools" from the VM menu."
    2) I click on VM: Install VMware Tools a "Ubunto 8.04 - VMware Workstation" window opens that says: "Installing the VMware Tools package will greatly enhance graphics and mouse performance in your virtual machine.

WARNING: You cannot install the VMware Tools package until the guest operating system is running. If your guest operating system is not running, choose Cancel and install the VMware Tools package later."

(with options) Install Cancel

I select "Install" and nothing (ever) happens. I can go up and "Cancel VMware Tools install" to end it - that's it.

Can anyone help me with this? Tavella has not been available for a couple of days and I'm in the dark here. Thanks.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 05-23-2008 at 01:02 PM.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

MeAndHuh no está en línea Stack level 1
    this thread is really informative -i'm just replying here to save it to my subscriptions , wish it is sticky !- .. thx alot guys for the help ...

actually i'm a new linux user too , trying to know what's going on

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12