Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello, I'm using Linux from 2 weeks and I want to upgrade my BlackBerry firmware ... Linux OS forum

ipatec no está en línea Stack level 1

new to linux. need help

Advertisement

Hello,
    I'm using Linux from 2 weeks and I want to upgrade my BlackBerry firmware ad add put some new software on it. Is this possible under Linux?
    I installed barry des's (I'm using Ubuntu 8.04) but I don't know how to run the software now.
    Any advice please?

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Unfortunately, the ONLY thing that is possible under Linux operating systems is the ability to charge your 'Berry, and basic synchronization...

Installing/removing software, updating the firmware and other functions require a compatible Microsoft Windows operating system.

There are a group of people working to change this by means of Open Source software, but until they've perfected this, you will need to "dual-boot" with a compatible Windows operating system...

~ Posted wirelessly from my BlackBerry 8800 (http://wap.pinstack.com) ~

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    ipatec,

I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my Win XP laptop and can boot either one as Cyba said above. Is that what you've done - dual systems? I'm new to it too - I haven't even been able to get my wireless net to connect yet - working on it in spare time (which means not much.)

Ubuntuforums.org has info on the dual install if you haven't seen it yet.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

ipatec no está en línea Stack level 1
    I used Ubuntu 8.04 about 2 weeks and it was my only OS installed. Now I removed it and I'm using only Windows XP

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Do this. I downloaded a trial of VMWare which gives you a 30 day trial. You also get VMWare Player which has no restrictions. Create a virtual machine with VMWare Workstation and make sure you get all the updates, etc and download the Desktop manager for the Blackberry. The VMWare Player will allow you to continue to use the virtual machine after the 30 day trial expires. Hook up your BB via USB and on the VM tab, there should be a removable devices tab, then the Blackberry should display under that. Poof, you can sync, add software, etc. I recommend using NAT for the networking. Let me know if you need help setting this up. I installed office 2007 so that I have outlook and I have also synced my Sprint Mogul.

Cron99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Additionally you can use MS Virtual PC which you can load directly into your Windows OS and run just about any OS within the virtual pc itself. It's a free download so you may want to give it a try versus setting up a dual boot on your system.

I've used it to install Red Hat, Solaris 9/10, Ubuntu, all flavors of windows and even DOS.

Virtual PC is for Windows only. If anyone does take the jump and goes full Linux, VMWare is an option and so is VirtualBox which is free (I haven't used it so I don't know its limits).

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I am full blown linux... hardy... no more winblows for me

Have you had any success tethering via Bluetooth with Hardy? I keep receiving a kernel panic when I try. I'm using my Mogul for tethering as EVDO Rev.A is nicer than EVDO Rev.0

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyRVC View Post

Yogich no está en línea Stack level 3
    C'mon, Stace, girl, give... ;-) ...we need to be able to tether on Linux. I have been forced to use XP for a year, now, and haven't been happy about it.
    ...Yogich

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    no luck whatsoever... not even with vmware or virtual box ( i have been searching on this for days). It doesn't seem to recognize the usb port as a mode of transport, just mounts it as storage. I do know that there are some people out there tryin to get DM to work with linux.
    Last edited by StaceyRVC; 05-17-2008 at 03:51 AM.

Yogich no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    This less-than-stellar 'how-to' is all I have been able to find: http://wiki.colar.net/tethering_with...pearl_on_linux
    ...no workee.

There is one on Gentoo site: http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Acc...28UMTS/GPRS%29

I have come relatively close, & tavella has done it w/Sprint ...using BT. We could use some help fingering(TM) it out. :-/ seems as if it wants to work, but some critical piece is missing in this puzzle.

Here is how I get my Blackberry to sync with DM using VMWare:

1. Start VMWare and boot up the guest operating system (I'm using XP)
    2. I plug in my Blackberry via USB.
    3. I select the VM menu within VMWare
    4. I select the removable devices menu
    5. I select the USB devices menu
    6. I select the Blackberry device from this menu.
    7. I start over and make sure that the Blackberry has a checkmark in the box next to the device (check twice, sync once).
    I then start up DM and it recognizes my device.

I will tell you that the first time I installed everything that DM would recognize the device and as soon as it tried to sync it would automatically disconnect. There is a SLIGHT possibility that this all works because of the steps I took in the first link from Yogich. Let me tell you that getting everything to compile correctly was a pain in the ...... I had to search out many missing libraries, download different packages, and I still can't confirm if it works or not since I don't have the tether package assigned to my phone. I would go ahead and add it to make sure this all worked and then remove it, but my provider usually has billing nightmares after making changes to my account.

Let me know if you receive any weird errors while compiling, copy and paste where the compile fails and I'll see if I can remember what I did to correct the issue. On a side note, I'm running the x64 Hardy version so ymmv.

no luck whatsoever... not even with vmware or virtual box ( i have been searching on this for days). It doesn't seem to recognize the usb port as a mode of transport, just mounts it as storage. I do know that there are some people out there tryin to get DM to work with linux.

My friend with the 8100 from Tmobile no longer has the phone. The only other people I know with BB's are all on AT&T and don't have tethering. Whats up with with their 5gig cap for $60? Sprint may lack in areas but at least the tethering is unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogich View Post
    This less-than-stellar 'how-to' is all I have been able to find: http://wiki.colar.net/tethering_with...pearl_on_linux
    ...no workee.

There is one on Gentoo site: http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Acc...28UMTS/GPRS%29

I have come relatively close, & tavella has done it w/Sprint ...using BT. We could use some help fingering(TM) it out. :-/ seems as if it wants to work, but some critical piece is missing in this puzzle.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I've been on Ubuntu since Feisty Fawn and I'm never going back. The Blackberry drawback is a small price to pay. I can still connect as a storage device. I can connect via bluetooth to transfer files, and I know it's possible to control things on your computer via BT with a Blackberry. And with the barry program, I can charge, backup/restore, etc.
    I know it's only a matter of time before the Blackberry will be fully functional with Linux. You would figure that all the Linux geeks (like me) out there, that there would be a large number of Linux and Blackberry users that would be working to get it done as quickly as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast