Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by phatmanxxl I downloaded ubuntu and copied it to a disc. It worked ... Linux OS forum

mac14x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    217a1629

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by phatmanxxl View Post
    I downloaded ubuntu and copied it to a disc. It worked fine for me, if you don't want to wait for a copy in the mail, its the way to go. I put it on a old hard drive to try it out. Its a nice os, but I'm too used to XP.
    Same here, Im too used to windows. But i still try to work Linux out, ubuntu is best for beginners. For some body who really wants to use and learn Linux here is a rly good ebook that i found, It tells you everything about ubuntu. For me i still switch bettween xp, vista and linux since i cant get get some of the things to work on linux, But wine is a rly good program for linux, with wine u can install windows programs on linux.

Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux Dec 2007
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2RANRRJT
    ~90 people get the swine flu and everyone is wearing face masks. Millions of people have AIDS but no one wears condoms...

Schirripal no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2096c6ec
    Thanks guys for the help and tips
    RedCurv07

kingbapho no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3024BC9C
    Another amazing tool

www.google.com/linux

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

MeAndHuh no está en línea Stack level 1

hope so ...

Quote Originally Posted by ma077146 View Post
    Going from Micro$oft Windows to Linux reminds me of learning to drive with a car with an automatic transmission, and then being given a stick shift.

You can go the the web site for that flavor of Linux and find documentation. O'Reilly books has a book called "Running Linux" that's a really good reference, or the Sam's Teach Yourself series has one "Teach Yourself Linux in 10 Minutes a day". You can pick either one, or others, up pretty cheap at Amazon.com, especially if you don't mind buying a used copy.

One thing for sure, once you master Linux, you'll never be satisfied with Windows again!
    i'm going for linux too , i wish it is easy as u say )

bready no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2446C5F4
    Quote Originally Posted by Schirripal View Post
    So fellow stackers started new job at an ISP and trying to learn Cent OS Enterprise Edition, i can admit this im a noob when it comes to anything linux and im looking for any help from you guys on how to start my Linux Knowledge the correct way installed Cent OS via GUI on an 1750 Dell PowerEdge server with three 10,000 RPM HD's Scuzzi's made two of the drives (70 gig's per drive) as raid 1 just looking for anywhere to start my command line skills at a good start im trying to read on this book called Linux Administration ill get the name later if needed saying at the begining i need perl knowledge Yikes i feel really dumb at my new job LOL but want to really learn this stuff because i know thats what im going to be going for in college any help stackers would be great thanks a bunch
    PS: PIN me anytime guys ill be happy to ask questions to all you Linux Guru's
    Hi. I am, by far, a linux guru. But, I work on equipment that uses an sgi fuel. This has an os which is derived from unix. Whenever I am trying to learn command line stuff I type "man" for manual, and the command I want to learn about. Not sure if linux uses this or not but it's very helpful.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Schirripal no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2096c6ec
    Ya I think its the same for the man pages been lookin at those pages also
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

alfanzo no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have started using Linux for one month.
    I like it and want to discuss some of the advantages.
    Low cost: You don’t need to spend time and money to obtain licenses since Linux and much of its software come with the GNU General Public License. You can start to work immediately without worrying that your software may stop working anytime because the free trial version expires. Additionally, there are large repositories from which you can freely download high quality software for almost any task you can think of.
    Stability: Linux doesn’t need to be rebooted periodically to maintain performance levels. It doesn’t freeze up or slow down over time due to memory leaks and such. Continuous up-times of hundreds of days (up to a year or more) are not uncommon.
    Performance: Linux provides persistent high performance on workstations and on networks. It can handle unusually large numbers of users simultaneously, and can make old computers sufficiently responsive to be useful again.
    Network friendliness: Linux was developed by a group of programmers over the Internet and has therefore strong support for network functionality; client and server systems can be easily set up on any computer running Linux. It can perform tasks such as network backups faster and more reliably than alternative systems.
    no spam

kimberlphillips no está en línea Stack level 1
    I am new to linux and I am looking forward to its commands and working functionality.I am Just wanted to drop in and say hi.I guess I must introduce myself.First and foremost I love Internet marketing, and practically anything to accomplish with advertising and marketing in general.Well that will wrap it up for correct now guys glad to meet all of you!

JDWired no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3156B31E
    Linux is open source, however if you're running ubuntu on specific machines it tends to lack the needed drivers in which are required for it to run properly. I've ran ubuntu 10.10 and 10.04 and had issues on both versions that declined to install all needed drivers which are broadcom wireless and the STA at times, this was operated on a Dell Mini Inspiron 1210 in which did not work in any way possible for it to be called a stable development to have a minor taste pf enjoyment.

Went back to windows xp and sad to say i'ts much easier to handle and maintain.
    Search Flex - Directory of SEO Services

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12