Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

So fellow stackers started new job at an ISP and trying to learn Cent OS ... Linux OS forum

  1. #1
    Schirripal's Avatar
    Schirripal no está en línea Stack Pro
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    2096c6ec
    Posts
    585

    New to Linux

    Advertisement



    So fellow stackers started new job at an ISP and trying to learn Cent OS Enterprise Edition, i can admit this im a noob when it comes to anything linux and im looking for any help from you guys on how to start my Linux Knowledge the correct way installed Cent OS via GUI on an 1750 Dell PowerEdge server with three 10,000 RPM HD's Scuzzi's made two of the drives (70 gig's per drive) as raid 1 just looking for anywhere to start my command line skills at a good start im trying to read on this book called Linux Administration ill get the name later if needed saying at the begining i need perl knowledge Yikes i feel really dumb at my new job LOL but want to really learn this stuff because i know thats what im going to be going for in college any help stackers would be great thanks a bunch
    PS: PIN me anytime guys ill be happy to ask questions to all you Linux Guru's
    RedCurv07

  2. #2
    kieranwest's Avatar
    kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    Posts
    1,208
    If you ever need any help or want guidance PM me and I'll gladly pass over my PIN I'm a total *NIX guru

  3. #3
    Schirripal's Avatar
    Schirripal no está en línea Stack Pro
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    2096c6ec
    Posts
    585
    Sweet definatly, thanks so much
    Quote Originally Posted by kieranwest View Post
    If you ever need any help or want guidance PM me and I'll gladly pass over my PIN I'm a total *NIX guru
    RedCurv07

  4. #4
    ma077146's Avatar
    ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6
    Posts
    945
    Going from Micro$oft Windows to Linux reminds me of learning to drive with a car with an automatic transmission, and then being given a stick shift.

    You can go the the web site for that flavor of Linux and find documentation. O'Reilly books has a book called "Running Linux" that's a really good reference, or the Sam's Teach Yourself series has one "Teach Yourself Linux in 10 Minutes a day". You can pick either one, or others, up pretty cheap at Amazon.com, especially if you don't mind buying a used copy.

    One thing for sure, once you master Linux, you'll never be satisfied with Windows again!

  5. #5
    Schirripal's Avatar
    Schirripal no está en línea Stack Pro
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    2096c6ec
    Posts
    585
    thanks for the info i just dual booted vista and Ubuntu 8.04 its different and i'm going to grab a copy of the books above thanks guys
    RedCurv07

  6. #6
    kieranwest's Avatar
    kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    Posts
    1,208
    If you're going into System Administration one of the best books of all time is Essential System Administration by AEleen Frisch it even goes as far as to show you the differences in between unix syntax for various commands....more of a reference guide than a reading book but definetly desk worthy ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

  7. #7
    Schirripal's Avatar
    Schirripal no está en línea Stack Pro
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    2096c6ec
    Posts
    585
    im trying to install java on ubuntu guys and been following the steps from this website but i have ubuntu 64 bit version not the 32bit and its showing unable to use plugin per running 64 bit version
    RedCurv07

  8. #8
    TorturedNacho's Avatar
    TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    Posts
    684
    When did Ub come out with the 64? /..God im out of it :/

  9. #9
    TorturedNacho's Avatar
    TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    Posts
    684
    Forgot about this.
    If your Completely New to the Open Source enviroment. I'd Suggest picking up this CBT and watching it about 30minutes aday (about 2 lessons) .This CBT is PACKED with Information. and a GREAT resource to help you on your way.
    cgi.ebay.com/Linux-Video-Training-CBT-10-in-1-DVD-Full-Version_W0QQitemZ320285462266QQihZ011QQcategoryZ50 194QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

  10. #10
    peter_s's Avatar
    peter_s no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Schirripal View Post
    im trying to install java on ubuntu guys and been following the steps from this website but i have ubuntu 64 bit version not the 32bit and its showing unable to use plugin per running 64 bit version
    schirripal,

    you should be able to just:
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin
    sun-java6-jre java-common
    im running 64 bit, ubuntu 8.04. What plugin are you talking about? im using icedtea-gcjwebplugin for web applets in firefox.

  11. #11
    Schirripal's Avatar
    Schirripal no está en línea Stack Pro
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    2096c6ec
    Posts
    585
    got it fixed thanks guys
    Quote Originally Posted by peter_s View Post
    schirripal,

    you should be able to just:
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin
    sun-java6-jre java-common
    im running 64 bit, ubuntu 8.04. What plugin are you talking about? im using icedtea-gcjwebplugin for web applets in firefox.
    RedCurv07

  12. #12
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by ma077146 View Post
    One thing for sure, once you master Linux, you'll never be satisfied with Windows again!
    .
    Well Said, I agree with you 100% !

    One simply doesn't know what their missing until they try Linux. I highly endorse Ubuntu 8.04 for those new to Linux, as it's risk free to try out. Get the "Live CD" put it in your optical drive & choose "run from CD" and you have the complete experience without installing anything on your PC. It could not be easier. Then if you're as impressed as most of us, there is a choice to install it from that same CD.
    .
    Go to OSDisc.com
    To purchase the live CD for under $5.00. This saves you from having to burn the ISO image to disc yourself. Once your done with it, pass it on to a friend. I ordered mine this way, had the disc in 4 days and I've not looked back since. Especially since it comes with lots of free software like: OpenOffice (compatible with MS Office), Firefox, Games, and many other apps that will take the place of MS apps.
    Google "Ubuntu Forums" and you will find the equivalent of PinStack, a great forum with more help than you could ever want. The entire experience is fantastic. Finally for those who are wondering, Yes it can be dual booted leaving your windows OS in place. Again it's super easy as that same " LiveCD " will automatically partition your hard drive as well. Give it a shot, you have nothing to lose.

    Cheers.....
    sent via BlackBerry

  13. #13
    mac14x's Avatar
    mac14x no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    PIN/ID
    217a1629
    Posts
    731
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    .
    Well Said, I agree with you 100% !

    One simply doesn't know what their missing until they try Linux. I highly endorse Ubuntu 8.04 for those new to Linux, as it's risk free to try out. Get the "Live CD" put it in your optical drive & choose "run from CD" and you have the complete experience without installing anything on your PC. It could not be easier. Then if you're as impressed as most of us, there is a choice to install it from that same CD.
    .
    Go to OSDisc.com
    To purchase the live CD for under $5.00. This saves you from having to burn the ISO image to disc yourself. Once your done with it, pass it on to a friend. I ordered mine this way, had the disc in 4 days and I've not looked back since. Especially since it comes with lots of free software like: OpenOffice (compatible with MS Office), Firefox, Games, and many other apps that will take the place of MS apps.
    Google "Ubuntu Forums" and you will find the equivalent of PinStack, a great forum with more help than you could ever want. The entire experience is fantastic. Finally for those who are wondering, Yes it can be dual booted leaving your windows OS in place. Again it's super easy as that same " LiveCD " will automatically partition your hard drive as well. Give it a shot, you have nothing to lose.

    Cheers.....
    sent via BlackBerry
    U can get a free CD straight from ubuntu, but it takes awhile for them to ship it
    ~90 people get the swine flu and everyone is wearing face masks. Millions of people have AIDS but no one wears condoms...



  14. #14
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by mac14x View Post
    U can get a free CD straight from ubuntu, but it takes awhile for them to ship it
    .
    Yes that's true. Thanks for bringing that up. It's important for others to know if they are not in a rush. It's a great testament to Mark Shuttleworth, the man that funds Ubuntu with his personal funds.
    To think that all one must do is request a disc & its totally free, as well as arriving in nice packaging is awesome. I ordered one just to see what they ship, its very impressive. I have passed it around several friends, all of who have installed it on their ThinkPads with no problems. However, it should be noted that ThinkPads are very Linux friendly. Something that I'm sure you are probably already aware of.
    .
    sent via BlackBerry

  15. #15
    phatmanxxl's Avatar
    phatmanxxl no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    PIN/ID
    3M TA3
    Posts
    611
    I downloaded ubuntu and copied it to a disc. It worked fine for me, if you don't want to wait for a copy in the mail, its the way to go. I put it on a old hard drive to try it out. Its a nice os, but I'm too used to XP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •