Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi, I've been lurking around the forums and FAQ looking for an answer, but can't ... Linux OS forum

vanguard no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    203B430F

Question Linux support

Advertisement

Hi, I've been lurking around the forums and FAQ looking for an answer, but can't find one.

I am running Suse Linux 9.3 on my computer (Windoze XP is on the partition). I have been looking for Blackberry Desktop software for Linux that would allow me to sync with programs like Kontact or Kmail.

Does the software exist and where can I find it, or will I have to continue to sync using Outlook and XP?

PIN me if you know.

Thanks.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    vanguard, Welcome to PinStack.

I don't know of any that will allow using linux.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

linuxconf no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23D8288B
    while I haven't tried it personally, you could use WINE to emulate a windows desktop and run the BB Desktop Manager off of that. Then you'd just have to port your Kontact and KMail to the emulated MSOffice and you'd be good to go. I can give you more details if you're interested, just let me know.
    -linuxconf

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
    ~Arthur C. Clarke

realcomix no está en línea Stack level 2
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ive tried that ... It don't work . As far as I know anything usb has to be plug and play for windows to pick it up insted of linux .. I even tried vmware that don't work too ...

PIN/ID
    203B430F

Wine solution

Quote Originally Posted by linuxconf
    while I haven't tried it personally, you could use WINE to emulate a windows desktop and run the BB Desktop Manager off of that. Then you'd just have to port your Kontact and KMail to the emulated MSOffice and you'd be good to go. I can give you more details if you're interested, just let me know.
    Hi,

Thanks for the idea. It had crossed my mind but it just seems like adding an unnecessary step. I could just boot up Windows and sync that way.

Kontact will sync with Palm devices, which would be okay if I had a Treo 650. That's just too expensive for very little in return (My BB 7290 is a little more versatile than the Treo and a better phone).

There are rumours that RIM is developing a Linux version of Desktop Manager, but I doubt the reliability of the people who are saying that in blogs.

It's a bit sad that RIM has not offered a Linux version. I went with Linux because I'm tired of the daily Windows hassles (ie. crashing, lack of speed, security problems), but the only thing I can't do in Linux is sync my Blackberry!

RIM must have people who could write the code in an afternoon.

docholliday no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317AFEB6
    I'm in the same boat as you. My routine is to boot into XP, synch my Pearl, then reboot into Fedora Core. It's a hassle, but right now it's our only option

PIN/ID
    203B430F
    Do you think RIM reads these forums closely? Perhaps they may hear our requests for Linux support?

docholliday no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317AFEB6
    When Linux has a large enough market share, maybe. I'm surprised that there's support for Macs, all things considered (and even then, the Mac software wasn't made by RIM, from what I understand).

Actually, how hard would it be to port the Mac software to Linux?

PIN/ID
    203B430F
    That's a great question...but one I don't know the answer for.

It may be easier though to go to the open source community and see if someone would write the software to make a program like Kontact sync with a Blackberry. That may be my next project.

ewg
    ewg no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Linux support

Hi everyone, I just found this forum and I wanted to share what I've learned so far. I too have been trying to get sync'ing working from within Linux. No luck so far.

Recently I've been trying to get syncing working from within VMWare (XP running as a guest) and I'm about half way there. I can see my BB in XP's device manager but the desktop software will not find the device. I also posted in VMWare's forum: http://www.vmware.com/community/thre...498752&#498752

It's not ideal but if I could get sync'ing at least working within VMWare it would be a huge help.

Any ideas?

BTW, someone on the Ubuntu forums has worked out some limited syncing: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=190938 but for me, I think using an official client (that supports photo sync'ing, etc.) would be more ideal.

clayt0njknight no está en línea Stack level 1

The reason you see your Blackberry listed in the XP's device manager under VMWare is because just about every operating system can recognize most USB devices as a "device". Whenever you plug a USB device in, it triggers a series of events-

Look at the initial device code in block 0
    Look and see if the device code listed in block 0 is in your HCL (Hardware Compatibility List)
    If the Device is in the list, prompt for driver installation if drivers are not a part of the operating system.

Unfortunately with Linux- USB devices don't push out the full 5.5v on a constant basis, which in actuality saves you battery life on your notebook if you are running linux on one, but is a drawback because you can't just at least "plug my blackberry in and charge it."

There is a small piece of software out there (that if memory serves me correctly is called BBCharge) on SourceForge's website.

I've also read of a couple users performing "dirty-syncs" with Evolution if you're willing to shy away from Kontact. I have even read of one user's ability to sync with Sunbird, Mozilla's new Calendar app.

It is surprising actually though that Blackberry hasn't put out some type of *nix kernel-based sync software. I understand that most users are "mac" users, but still some type of cross-platform open source solution should have been put out looooong time ago. MacOS is actually built on the linux kernel, or a variant of it. OS X originally started as 2 parts- Darwin, and a ported version of FreeBSD for the IBM PowerPC Architecture.

If I can be of any assistance, feel free to contact me. I'll be more than happy to help in any way I can.

lloesch no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2420F7EA

I've been poking a stick at this for about two weeks and *most* things are working now under Suse 10.x. I tried once or twice to get USB syncing working but things seemed to get ugly pretty quickly. What I did first was download barry and built that just to get the bcharge utility. I had to hack the files in /etc/udev/rules.d but now when I plug in the BB (an 8320, FWIW) it automagically boosts the voltage on the USB port.

For data syncing I created a scheduleworld.com account, then installed the Nexthaus Syncje client for blackberry and hooked that all together. I tried the Funambol client but it just never seemed to work right. The Nexthaus client gives you 15 days to try it out, so far it it blows the funambol client away. It will sync contacts, tasks and your calendar. At this point I'm planning on buying because it's worth the time saved fighting the funambol client.

Next step: I then pulled down the Syncevolution package and installed it, pointed it to scheduleworld and that pretty much got me up and running. I've set everything to run a sync every six hours or so (Syncje let's you schedule updates, cron does the job on the linux side) and now everything has been running for about five days, no major problems. I don't want to hose the scheduleworld site so I may drop that to every eight hours or so.

To Do status don't seem to leave the BB and recurring appts that are created on the BB before DST act a bit odd but overall the biggies are all working.

There are lots of little details I'm leaving out, but if nothing else this will point you in a direction (I can't guarantee it's the *right* one ) .

NOTE! BACK YOUR DATA! The first few tries all sorts of things happened (duplicate calendars entries, etc.) I even managed to sync an empty address book and blow away everything at one point. Save early, save often...

You also may need to upgrade from suse 9.3. It's a solid release but pretty old. Stay away from Suse 10.1 (it's evil). OpenSuse 10.3 has proven pretty solid for this so far. I've got the BB, a suse 10.1, openSuse 10.2 and openSuse 10.3 boxes all synced with this. I probably need to cut back on the number of PC's I use...

Hope this helps!

xzased no está en línea Stack level 1

Dudes, check out BARRY at sourceforge. I think its the closest thing to BB's desktop manager for linux yet. I will try to install it tomorrow.

HuwSy no está en línea Stack level 3

Has anyone got Barry working with any devices running 4.3. As I used to sync my 7100 to file but my 8120 doesn't get recognised. I've tried altering the udev file for accordingly but still no joy
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

clayt0njknight no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile Re: Linux support

I've gotten Barry to work with Ubuntu Gutsy on 32-bit, but no luck on 64-bit. Synced to Evolution. All of my contacts came over just fine... Calendar created a few duplicate events but i didn't realize it till i plugged my 8830 into my mac... oops. Barry incorporates the BBCharge module I was speaking of earlier. I'm fixing to try it on my OpenSuse 10.3 Installation i'm about to set up. Will definitely keep you posted.

cheers!

-Clay Knight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast