Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stupid Question real fast. If I install Linux can I uninstall it? Also, can I ... Linux OS forum

dallas1125 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2576E92F

Installing Linux and Uninstalling?

Advertisement

Stupid Question real fast. If I install Linux can I uninstall it? Also, can I run Linux from the CD I just got from them? How would I do this. Im sorry, but I want to try Linux on my Vaio Laptop running Windows XP at the same time but I dont want to ruin it cause I wont be able to get a replacement.

Kero351 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242ed7b2
    I think you would wipe the HD to uninstall. I've used ubuntu on an ibook before and I just used to original disks to wipe the drive and it was fine.

Xorphan no está en línea Stack level 2
    yeah you can, install or run from live cd.

if you want to uninstall you can put your windows disk in and re-write mbr.

you can do this in the recovery console.

this will replace the grub loader or lilo, and then once your back in windows open

a disk utility like paragon disk manager, and delete the partitions created by linux.

from there you can re-expand your windows partition to the full volume... ect.

this method is great if you need to preserve your data.

you could also restore from a previously backed up media, but i'll assume you haven't done that.

if you require more help, or other methods pin me; 205d3d34

I'm a systems engineer, on both the linux, and windows platform.
    Last edited by Xorphan; 07-06-2008 at 10:02 PM.
    http://xorphan-design.com
    creativity in colour / design in mind

PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    That makes no sense to me. Sorry. I have no computer experience really. I mean I use computers but I dont a lot about them and differences ect. Can you explain it in simple terms please?

When you install linux, it takes control of the boot process from windows.

Now linux can normally detect the windows OS and will automatically add the option to boot into windows when your computer starts.

If this is the case you will need to select windows once the option pops up and startup. Just before it starts to load, press F8 and select recovery console, once your there type /help and it will provide you with the command "fix mbr" to reinstall the control to windows at boot time.

once you get this far, restart and windows should automatically load.

complete this stage and then I can help you more.

You could always simplify things and reinstall, just put windows CD in computer as soon as you turn it on. and press any key to start installing windows it will take you through the right steps to reinstall and it will remove linux.

PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Ok, well I was just wondering how to do it, cause I am going to try linux now.

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6
    Debian and Red Hat are two of the better versions. If you go to their sites, you can find information for beginners and installing. They even have installers that will walk you through the process and prompt you for certain settings.

No problem, that's what this forum is here for.

rmerck no está en línea Device Pro
    Dallas,

I would STRONGLY recommend you use a LiveCD of Fedora or other popular version before taking the jump to make an install. I say this not because you seem to be a newbie to it, but because the VAIO line of laptops have had their fair share of compatibility issues with ALL versions of Linux. This has been the same for the Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad line as well.

Most of the time you will be OK, but give it a test and check out EVERY aspect of your computing on the LiveCD before you determine whether Linux will make or break you.

However... Uninstalling is simply a matter of wiping off the Linux partitions and replacing your Master Boot Record to go back to your Windows configuration.

So, give this a shot... download this Fedora 9 LiveCD image (http://download.fedoraproject.org/pu...-i686-Live.iso) and burn it to a cd, pop it in the CD-Rom drive and restart the computer. Give Fedora a run for its money, keeping in mind that because everything will be a little slower due to running off the CD-Rom and internal memory.

Pin me if I can be of more assistance.

Ryan
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."
    Jesus, Luke 22:36

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
    Gen. John Pershing, U.S. Army

PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    Well, I got ubuntu because someone recommended it to me. Thats Linux right? I will look into fedora too though. Thanks for all of your help everyone.

Kero351 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242ed7b2
    Yes, ubuntu is linux. I felt it was realatively easy as a first jump into linux; but be aware linux can be quite different in terms of how you install applications and stuff.

good luck!

PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    Ok, thnx, Giving his a try...Its different, and thats what I like about it. I dont know...It seems....Free...like you have more freedom. I like it.

rmerck no está en línea Device Pro
    You are correct Ubuntu is Linux. Its very user friendly but won't offer you much in terms of learning the ins and outs of Linux. Ubuntu was geared to be as automated as possible, much like Windows.

The good side is it will be easier to install and set up a working Linux platform. The downside is that it won't prepare you very much in ways of teaching you its infrastructure.

I would recommend a RedHat or Debian based system to start with. You will eventually have a thrist for FreeBSD or Gentoo.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    Linux is Bad, Unix is the Key.
    Fedora is to advanced distro of linux for a beginner with no computer experiance.
    Unbutu is the safest thing to play around with. altho i would pickup a book and do alittle reading about linux/Unix before just thinking you can INSTALL and off you go.
    With Unbutu i hear it is supposed to work like that.
    but with anything semi-advanced you have to configure, and update, and run in sudo.
    I've been running/work on Linux/Unix machines for YEARS. and its not as simple as people think it is.
    But i've been hearing alot about unbuntu, I Just might go and order there CD.
    and please dont post back about downloading the iso's from distrowatch.org or something.
    believe me i know. .. but like i said im going to order it from the ubu site.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I am using Hardy Heron 8.04 which has been pretty stable from the get go for me. You can also install ubuntu as a virtual machine running through windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast