I got tired of Ubuntu on my netbook, because with the upgrades and added complications ... Linux OS forum

Thumbs up From Ubuntu to JoliCloud (Joli OS 1.2)

Advertisement

I got tired of Ubuntu on my netbook, because with the upgrades and added complications it has slowed down my little Eee PC to a crawl. Almost as slow as Windows 7! So I've installed Jolicloud, which is a simpler setup and UI compared to Ubuntu. Right now it's very fast, although I think it's slower than Ubuntu was when I first tried it over a year ago. Nevertheless, the ui is extremely simple but very colorful. Joli OS is primarily designed for internet/social use, so installing word processing and spreadsheet apps seems a little uncomfortable on it, although they work ok. Both the boot and the shut-down are very fast.

The problem with Ubuntu is that they streamlined the OS to work on any computer - so if you install it on a PC, a Laptop or a netbook it's the same OS and it just got too heavy for a little 1.6 GHz netbook. IT's a shame because it's a cool looking ui! Joli OS seems to be working great and is a good replacement.

Ice Cream Sandwich is available for netbooks, along with earlier versions of Android, so if Joli OS does not work out I may go the Android route on the Eee PC. I should give Android another 12 months development time, though, because there are a few bugs in the current Netbook distros.

Netbooks are just as fun as smartphones!

Update on this - I've had Joli OS on my netbook for about ten days - it is an absolute joy. The ui is very simple and fast. I think I'm going to keep JoliCloud on the device for a while until I see something better. It's very organized, but thorough. Boot-up and shut down are a little slower than Ubuntu was when I first installed it a few months ago, but still very much faster than Windows 7. It is certainly faster than the current Ubuntu distro. I would recommend this Os if you have a netbook that you want to make viable again!

Now, after about a month, I tire of JoliCloud. The 2.0 OS on my BlackBerry PlayBook is much stronger than Joli 2.0 on the netbook PC so I'm discovering that my poor Eee PC is beginning to gather dust. I'm going to re-install Windows 7 on the Eee and carry both devices with me (they are both wonderfully small) in my messenger bag. The advantages of the netbook would be the full versions of Office and the better Chrome browser, while the PlayBook does multimedia, games, email, PIM and social networking better. Plus, the touchscreen on the PlayBook rocks . . .

However, my wife knows me - I'll go back to Windows on the netbook, but she says it will be only a few months until I have a Linux distro back on it. Which may be a good thing, because improvements to Linux are coming fast and furious. Not to mention Android on a netbook is already a reality (after all, Android is a Linux distro!) and may be perfected shortly!

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    I don't know what the specs are on your netbook, but Fedora 17 was just released.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611