Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Nokia just announced that they are slowing adopting Linux for all new phones & eliminating ... Linux OS forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Advertisement

Nokia just announced that they are slowing adopting Linux for all new phones & eliminating Symbian due to the huge security advantages of Linux. It's simply a matter of time before we see more implementations of Linux in the mobile phone sector. While not perfect, what is? I'm not suggesting that RIM will migrate to Linux, as the BlackBerry platform is already stable, secure, and doing it's job very nicely.
    However as we know time has an impact as developers work continuously on new & existing technologies, to create change & improvements in the devices we use.

One thing is certain, & that is RIM will always remain open minded, listen to their user base & create better BlackBerrys.

Cheers
    via: Red BB 8310
    (wap.pinstack.com)~

Natox no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24207E4A
    Linux is now on Ipods too , FYI, it enables you to use any DMR mp3 to use from Napster intead of only Itunes . Again, I got nothing against the BB OS, but i think LINUX might be better as Archer6 said above.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    I'm a great fan of Linux and have been so, a Unix guy, for years. Still, it seems that
    RIM's proprietary OS is doing its job, notably guaranteeing security. I'm not sure what would drive a change!

psionfenix no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31c637d4
    RIM's OS is great. BUT really, I hate having to pay for everything. Annoying at the least. I'd love to stick linux on this phone, it'd make the device perfect *well, maybe add a touchscreen, haha".

Maxx730 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31bf8ee1
    Linux is so lightweight you could get much more power out of a blackberry. just look at the palm pres web os

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Linux is a great OS.

For those of you who said Linux can't run on BB because of Java, Android is a Linux OS and is made in Java.

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    Android isn't made in Java. Application development for Android is in Java (or C/C++ and ARM Assembly if using the Native Development Kit). However, the userspace and Dalvik virtual machine for Android are written in C (linked to the Bionic libc which is lighter weight than glibc or others used for heavier devices), as is the Linux kernel.

Given that BlackBerry development is limited to executing in the BlackBerry Java VM, Linux won't happen. Admittedly, some of my earlier statements in this topic are not entirely true (namely there is a non-insignificant native OS of sorts above the JVM, rather than a thin layer), as I've learned more from reverse engineering parts of the BlackBerry OS -- but the statement that Linux won't happen on BlackBerry hardware still stands.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C

Thumbs up

I've heard of someone using "Damn small linux" and cutting the kernel in half and using C++ to recode it to run on the device. I'm not 100% sure if it actually worked or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustman View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~really not trying to be a smarta$$, but why would you want a blackberry that does absolutely nothing ^_^

And has for that comment. ... ^^^ All I can say it have fun with windows, comment like that when you learn something

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyth View Post
    Android isn't made in Java. Application development for Android is in Java (or C/C++ and ARM Assembly if using the Native Development Kit). However, the userspace and Dalvik virtual machine for Android are written in C (linked to the Bionic libc which is lighter weight than glibc or others used for heavier devices), as is the Linux kernel.

Given that BlackBerry development is limited to executing in the BlackBerry Java VM, Linux won't happen. Admittedly, some of my earlier statements in this topic are not entirely true (namely there is a non-insignificant native OS of sorts above the JVM, rather than a thin layer), as I've learned more from reverse engineering parts of the BlackBerry OS -- but the statement that Linux won't happen on BlackBerry hardware still stands.
    Really? Wow that's interesting to know thanks. Changes my idea of it.

melder215 no está en línea Stack level 2
    damn small linux IS great. i would love to get anything else on my blackberry. i am working on replacing some system cods with cods of a younger version. had some success. i guess this is what a hybrid is. if anyone messes around with thier os cods please contact me. especially 83xx users.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12