Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anyone heard of any success of porting an embedded version on a current Blackberry? ... Linux OS forum

leonallen no está en línea Stack level 1

Embedded Linux on a Blackberry

Advertisement

Has anyone heard of any success of porting an embedded version on a current Blackberry? I would love to try this out if anyone has any idea.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Embedded Linux on a Blackberry

leonallen, If i havent already done so, let me welcome you to PinStack.

Never heard of anyone even trying this. Most BBs available now are Java Based machines, so don't know if it is possible to run Linux on them, While the chipset is Intel, I don't think it is x86 based.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Dustman no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31C59DD0

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~really not trying to be a smarta$$, but why would you want a blackberry that does absolutely nothing ^_^

VMPhil no está en línea Stack level 1

this is a list of imbedded versions of linux str8 from wikipedia

AMiLDAAn embedded distribution for routers using the ADM5120 MIPS chipset.Bootable business card distrosDeveLinux A live CD distro for developers. It contains any kind of software which is useful to program and develop project. See homepage.ELKS Linux The Embeddable Linux Kernel SubsetEmbedded Debian Embedded Debian is a project to make Debian GNU/Linux a mainstream choice for embedded projectsEmbedix Familiar Linux Distribution for iPAQ handheldsHard Hat Linux see MontaVista LinuxiPodLinux Embedded Linux firmware for the Apple iPod based on the µCLinux kernelJlime Distribution for the HP Jornada handheldsMiniLinux MontaVista Linux embedded systems distro by MontaVista SoftwareOpenZaurus Debian packages and ROM image for the Sharp Zaurus PDA. See homepage.TimeSys Linux embedded systems distro by TimeSys. See homepage.
    whether any of this will work on a blackberry......not likely.

Natox no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24207E4A

I dont know you guys but Linux is a very reliable OS, I would like to seeit on the bb platform !!!!!

cypher no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    876-5309
    Quote Originally Posted by Natox
    I dont know you guys but Linux is a very reliable OS, I would like to seeit on the bb platform !!!!!
    Linux is a very liable OS on a desktop pc platform. That doesn't mean it will work well on a handheld unit. There r a few phones out there that runs on linux, but it isn't like the desktop linux. Think Windows XP/Vista and Windows Mobile 5/6.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Yeah, but an OS based on linux would be the way to go. Not loading desktop linux on the BB, but an embedded OS that you could customize and create apps for. Now I don't know if anyone has one in the works, but would be a nice idea to have an OS we can really take apart and tweak.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

tom_vachon no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24AE3FA5

I have seen the rokr v6 (europe import) and its pretty fast, runs Moto's version of Linux, which thate are open-sourcing everything including the kernel. Major hackability impending on that thing.

alfonzo88hundre no está en línea Stack level 1

and thats exactly why your not gonna see linux on a BB these guys are all about the security.
    Its not exactly gonna be the holder of state secrets if some one can just back door any device with a few well embeded line of code.
    As far as the OS goes i dont think other then a little bit or Carrier re branding that thers not gonna be to much there to tinker with, these things are reliably and okay they mady have a bit to go to catch up with the simplicity or intuitivness of some other hadheld OS but allowing such easily accessible OS as linux would not seem viable at this time.

I mean i do agree it would be great to have an OS you could reaarrange as required but you do have to look at what these handsets are acctually primarily getting used to.

docholliday no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317AFEB6

If you want Linux on a handheld, pick up an old Jornada 780

peterthill no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    281860C8

Quote Originally Posted by docholliday View Post
    If you want Linux on a handheld, pick up an old Jornada 780
    Or an old iPaq (before HP take over Compaq) and install OPIE on it or as an native LINUX unit: the Zaurus from Sharp.

Just my 2 ct
    Peter
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery

fjl307 no está en línea Stack level 2
    RIM already makes a decent OS. Linux would be neat if it could take advantage of all the hardware capabilitys like the RIM OS does.

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6
    Linux can be an extremely stable OS. It is designed to interface directly with the processor of the PC, unlike Micro$oft, which has to work through it's api.

Some vendors in the past have tried to adapt versions of Linux to portable devices of various kinds, and even IBM had an interest in using Linux on some of it's systems, but they were niche at best.

To port a version of Linux for a BB device, someone would have to have detailed knowledge of of the BB hardware, and know how to match up it to the features of a Linux Kernal.

leecarraher no está en línea Stack level 1
    From what i can tell the bb has an intel arm based processor, i dont know which one. I developed an embedded linux device that was also arm based (pxa27xx) for a school project. There is plenty of interest in embedded linux, as it is quickly becoming the predominant embedded os. There are many reason for using linux instead of other os. One of which being that alot of the work has already been done, and its modularity allows for streamlining and performance tuning.

I am not saying that it would be at all easy, but it is certainly possible. Step one would be finding a way to access the bb via some low level serial device for flashing the firmware (and recovering). Unfortunately my new pearl is too shiny to hack apart just yet, but maybe once i move to my next phone in 2 years i can start dismantling it.
    Has anyone tried? what about the usb, anyone try to usbnet telnet or something?
    also the pearl is not java based from the os standpoint. As far as i know, there is no hardware java vm (kind of an oxymoron) in sight. Therefor it is running as a virtual layer above some underlying system written probably in c or arm assembly.

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    PXA901, actually. However, the RIM production devices only run operating systems that have been digitally signed by RIM. The OS actually is all Java, and the firmware serves as a thin layer over the CPU to provide a low level JVM. The OS digital signature is enforced by the firmware, which isn't user alterable without some very serious hacking. For all intents and purposes, it is a "hardware" Java platform.

Certainly, any such firmware signature restrictions could be bypassed by modifying the firmware. However, I don't think this can be accomplished on production devices without dismantling the hardware, and extracting data from the chips containing the firmware.

Something tells me that won't be easy to accomplish. Nobody has succeeded at this before, and I'm sure the bounty on the potential BlackBerry malware would make it very worthwhile to blackhat developers. This alone makes me think it isn't going to be practical, if possible without destroying the hardware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast