Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mark Stone

I took my MeeGo powered eeeeeeeeee PC and re-installed Windows 7, but now after a ... Linux OS forum

Back to Ubuntu

Advertisement

I took my MeeGo powered eeeeeeeeee PC and re-installed Windows 7, but now after a year or so I've installed Ubuntu (and completely deleted Windows). Man - Oh - Man, has Ubuntu changed since I last tried it! It's smooth, wears a tux, and is mighty fast. Linux for Netbooks has come a long way, my little Asus is king computer in the Stone household again!
    Delfim and lak611 like this.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've been seriously considering ditching Windows but not sure if I can live without Office.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've been seriously considering ditching Windows but not sure if I can live without Office.
    Ubuntu comes packaged with Word Processor/Spreadsheet/Presentation apps that are designed to use Office documents. I can't attest to their quality, however - but xlsx and docx files feel right at home on Ubuntu. Also, a Ubuntu installation option is to install it side by side with Win7 so you can run both operating systems, giving you a chance to try it out.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    I'm dual booting Linux and Windows. I have Microsoft Office 2010 and LibreOffice on the Windows side, and I have LibreOffice on the Linux side. I have not had any issues viewing or creating .docx, .xlsx, or .pptx files in LibreOffice. The older .doc, .xls, and .ppt formats are also compatible with LibreOffice.

I'm running openSUSE 12.1, not Ubuntu. However, LibreOffice is LibreOffice and Linux is Linux. I've run Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora and Slackware. LibreOffice works fine in all Linux distros, and it is included in many standard installations of Linux distros.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

So for a Linux newb would you go Ubuntu or openSUSE?

Hahahaha! I've never even heard of openSUSE! Ubuntu is very nice, however. Installation is very intuitive and easy, and the instructions are very clear.

How much space is required?

How much space is required?
    56 MB Memory and 500 MB Disk space for a normal installation

PIN/ID
    no more

Actually for someone new to Linux, I would recommend Linux Mint. It is easy to use, but it looks and behaves more like Ubuntu did in the past. There is no Unity desktop.
    Laura

What about e-mail clients? I know I can use Thunderbird, but is there another client that comes with any of these?

PIN/ID
    no more
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.723 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Evolution is an email client for the Gnome desktop. Kmail is an email client for the KDE desktop.
    Laura

lol. Okay, you have to remember I'm a newb here. You hafta 'splain it so I know what to download and where.

lol. Okay, you have to remember I'm a newb here. You hafta 'splain it so I know what to download and where.
    "The Gnome Desktop" is a user interface (icons, etc.) that is an option in Ubuntu, as I believe KDE is too. Ubuntu comes with a software center where all kinds of free software is catalogued and extremely well organized, and there are several email clients for free: Claws, Balsa, Kontact, Thunderbird, Evolution, Mutt, Sylpheed - those are the ones that came up in my search just now. They download and install with just a couple clicks of the mouse.

The whole experience of Ubuntu is extremely user-friendly, completely menu driven, and very intuitive. When a user is brand new it takes a little time to figure out how to navigate around after it's installed, but that would be the case with any new os - just like when you went from BlackBerry to your current smartphone.

Negatives with Linux systems is that a lot of our smartphone computer software, like the BlackBerry Desktop Software, is not available - so I only use Ubuntu on my netbook and have left Win7 on my desktop.

With Linux, your computer starts faster, runs much faster, shuts down in 1/4 of the time. Software loads faster. Things run smoother. There are few (if any) viruses. Installation is very, very easy, and the Ubuntu website holds our hands all the way through the installation. They also give you the option of installing it next to Windows so that every time you boot the computer it gives you the choice between Windows and Ubuntu so if you discover that Linux is not right for you you can simply switch back. It also doesn't cost anything. The UI is very, very handsome and colorful. The amount of free software for Linux is huge. The best thig to do is just to try it - - ubuntu dot com

EDIT - I sound like a Linux salesman now! Hahahaha

Ah so iTunes will not run in Linux like BB DM. Good to know. Was trying to think of what I need to have and that would be at least one thing.