I am looking on ebay and checking out the telenavs and the Garmin 10X. I ... BlackBerry GPS forum

nikonianmike no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2440425B

Question Which GPS to purchase

Advertisement

I am looking on ebay and checking out the telenavs and the Garmin 10X. I see there are a bunch of the Garmins which look good but the ad says "receiver only." Would you ever purchase a something like this off of Ebay and if so, what does "receiver only" mean? Does it need special software to run. I have never used a GPS bluetooth attachment so I am really not sure what makes a good buy and what to look for.

There are also a bunch of telenavs listed and I heard from a bunch of pinstackers that this is also an excellent unit. The ones I see on ebay are from ATT. Will these units work with a 8320 from TMO??

Is there anything that I should look out for?

Thanks so much!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    You're an 8320 so you do not have GPS installed on your phone. That means that you will have to have a "receiver" and they typically connect via the bluetooth on your phone. What you use for the other half of the GPS is something like Google Maps, Blackberry Maps, etc. Can get directions from either of those but you won't get voice instructions.

My advise before you buy something on eBay is to know what you want, its cost range. If you can afford it, you might try for something new but that may not be what you want - at least do some reading before you jump so you'll have an idea.

You might check out some of the BB GPS threads in Pinstack:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...berry_gps.html

You can go to Garmin:

http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGPS/

to read about GPS - it has a beginners guide you can download at the bottom of the page, or here:

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/onthego

to go through their mobile selection process. Or here:

There are many GPS devices available for Blackberrys - I hope that helps.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    I would start out first by asking what you plan to use the GPS for most often.

Like JB indicated, you'll need a GPSr that bluetooths over to your phone. They are often referred to as "Pucks" since there are no displays on the devices. They simply transmit and receive data from the GPS system and send it to your phone via bluetooth.

In order to make use of the info in any meaningful way, you generally need a data plan. The GPS info is translated onto Google Maps, TeleNav, or some other map utility (that pulls the map info down in realtime over the data connection) that lets you know where you're going.

If you simply want GPS to help with driving directions, a dedicated unit like a Garmin Navi or Tom Tom might be better for your needs.

If you live in an area where Coverage is spotty (rural areas, etc) the Puck won't do you much good for driving, since the map programs would stop working once you lost your wireless signal.

If you still think a GPSr Puck would be a good fit for you, prices on eBay can be excellent. Stick to the common sense guidelines, (quality sellers with PayPal, etc) and you can get a decent unit. I've heard very good reviews from Stackers using the Holux devices, but I do not have any personal experience with them.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

nikonianmike no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2440425B
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~thanks so much. I have the full data plan and love the 8320. Mostly I would use the GPS for driving but then there are those times when I am lost in NYC on foot and it would be sweet to have a little navigation. I have heard from other Stackers that the Garmin and the Telenav are the way to go.I have seen the Telenavs as really nice prices and the same goes for the Garmin. I just was wondering if there was specific software that was supposed to come with it. I use the google maps and blackberry maps all of the time. They are pretty accurate but I need pin point accuracy when I am on a location shoot.

PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    Most civilian GPSr devices will be accurate down to 20 feet +/-. I highly recommend Garmin devices, they have a good reputation for quality and customer service.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

FF2
    FF2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have the Freedom 2000 unit and it works very well. I have used it with a wide variety of mapping programs on my bb8830 (verizon disables the gps).

focuztorch no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    if i have the 8310 on att with gps wouylkd i need anything esle or am i good to go

PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    Quote Originally Posted by focuztorch View Post
    if i have the 8310 on att with gps wouylkd i need anything esle or am i good to go
    You already have a GPSr onboard. The only thing(s) you need are the utilities to take advantage of it. (i.e. Google Maps, Blackberry Maps, TeleNav, etc.)

focuztorch no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    i have just downloaded garmin and im loving only concern is if i go in a area with no service am i going to be with out directions

FF2
    FF2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Any gps software that requires DATA for mapping or routing will have problems if you travel outside of service areas. There are some programs that allow you to use preloaded maps but you have to plan in advance and create those maps and I'm not sure how wide an area you can cover with such maps.