Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Yes you do need a GPS device to use BB maps. I have a Holux ... BlackBerry GPS forum

SWT6 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Using Pearl with Blackberry Maps and GPS

Advertisement

Yes you do need a GPS device to use BB maps. I have a Holux 240, it is extremely small and attains signal very quickly, (about $80.00 on ebay). I was able to use it in downtown Toronto without any major problems. You do lose signal on occassion depending on your location as all GPS devices require line of sight. The GPS unit links to the Pearl via Bluetooth and does not cost anything to run besides the initial purchase cost. The BB Maps software does an initial download of your current area which seems to average 220 - 260k. The software updates dynamically as you move requiring additional downloads. If you are walking around this isn't too much of an issue as the area covered by a 220-260k download is quite large. I am on the Rogers network which is capped at 200 MB a month, because of that limitation I would not use the feature while driving. If you are worried about money just get the inital download of your map then turn of your data so it won't auto update with a new map. Just remember to turn data on when you are done.

amoss28 no está en línea Stack level 2

I have google maps downloaded on my pearl does anyone know if it shows the icon spoken of earlier when driving and paired with a blue tooth? Also if it gives you upcoming turn as spoken of earlier? If not then how do I get the maps thath originaly comes on the bb back?

maestrowork no está en línea Stack level 3

Google Maps doesn't work with GPS. And if you want turn-by-turn voice direction, you want something like Telenav ($10 a month) or WayFinder ($99 lifetime cost).

husnain1 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by kercus05
    ~via BB I can't do it with my pearl can some1 plz give me the step thanx

(wap.pinstack.com)~
    what exactly do you need the steps to...to get a bluetooth connection running with your phone and the gps receiver? if so here's what you do: go to options>bluetooth then click menu and select add device. The phone will start seaching for your device and when its done the phone will ask you to enter a password which is usually the default password of 0000. You should be good to go then

xpsych07x no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23EB3735

Hi, I just got my Pearl 8100 and it came with the Maps. I wanted GPS and have heard of telenav. The thing is I dont want to pay 9.95/month because I dont really need the voice direction and etc. Is there a GPS receiver where i can purchase and use GPS without paying a fee to use?

Please help! Thanks everyone. I been trying to find one for 1 week now and no luck

Thanks again.
    xpsych07x

raven1a no está en línea Stack level 2

Read the entire thread. Telenav is a software application that gives you step by step, voice guided directions. Basically, it turns your pearl into a TomTom.

All you need is a GPS reciever that supports bluetooth. I'm using a Pharos iGPS-360. You pair that up with the pearl and use BB Maps for the GPS software.

Does anyone know of a GPS software for the pearl that has maps of S. American countries. I'm moving to Ecuador soon and want to have something like BB Maps for use there.

inboxmarketi no está en línea Stack level 1

OKay here in Australia with VOdafone they will not permit downloads of BB Maps (not supported)

I have a bluetooth GPS and want driving instructions and route logging for display in Google maps?

Do I need a data plane also?

Any ideas?

Blackberry Pearl 8100

phildo672261 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by MrGolf
    iGuidance for WM is fantastic, it blows telnav and tom tom out of the water. Its a shame it can't be used on BB. Does anyone know of a small USB GPS receiver that can plug into the Pearl much like a flash drive would. I'd like to take my BB on the golf course and use another program that will give me distances to the front and back of the putting greens.
    What is the golf sofware called???

Bob-Sacameno no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by SWT6
    To map from your current location in BB maps:

Open BB maps, once the GPS device is connected press Start GPS and it will show your current location after a few seconds, press the menu key.

Now select Directions, it will show you Directions From, press the menu key and select Use Map Center. Now enter the address you are looking for and it will provide a highlighted route with text route direction at the bottom from your current location.

Cheers
    I must be doing something wrong. I have my Holux240 connected to the 8100 (after selecting "Start GPS". When I press the menu key, I see "Directions" which gives me 3 choices: "Current Location", "Enter an address" or "Favorites". When I press the menu key, I only get the option "Close". I don't see the "Use Map Center". Is "Current Location" the same as "Use Map Center"?

michelle3 no está en línea Stack level 3

Well i've had mine for about a month and just yesterday I clicked on MAPS... i feel like an idiot. I got lost earlier this week. I drive a lot with my job and usually print out directions from mapquest. Im a winner.

cbrewitt no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    250444A4

Cant fault Blackberry Maps paired with Holux slimline GPS receiver. Helped set up a friend with maps and receiver - he's amazed !

michelle3 no está en línea Stack level 3

what exactly is this "Holux slimline GPS" stuff. I'm very much clueless about phones.

cbrewitt no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    250444A4

blackberry maps has data for all of the UK. I,m with Vodafone UK based in Perth Scotland and have no problems accessing maps, in fact Scotland is recognized as England !

Holux GPS receiver receives a satelitte signal and paired with Blackberry maps lets you use your phone like Sat Nav. Pairing is by bluetooth. Its simlple to use and set up.
    Last edited by cbrewitt; 04-22-2007 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Automerged.

retrozion no está en línea Stack level 3

Is this somEthing u put in your car?

teleberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23F8AB7F

Another question.
    Can you use a bloothooth headset at the same time as you are using a bluetooth GPS.
    That way you could listen to directions without using the speakerphone.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast