Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn on the GPS feature on ... BlackBerry GPS forum

jmspecto no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Turning on GPS

Advertisement

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn on the GPS feature on the BB 8800 without getting charged by Cingular. I want to use it, but I dont want to pay. It is more of a novelty thing for me. Please let me know. Thanks

tundra no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F50D92

Re: Turning on GPS

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i too would like to know. Hopefully there is a way. I am sure someone will be around to answer this.

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

I don't have an 8800, but from what I think I know you are not being charged for using the GPS "hardware" on your 8800. If you used it with blackberry maps it would be free. If you've signed up for Telenav Service, then that's what your carrier is charging you for.

I don't think I'm wrong here, but I have not had the hands on experience, and It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong.
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

paulsbb no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242C46E0

Quote Originally Posted by jerrycrabb
    I don't have an 8800, but from what I think I know you are not being charged for using the GPS "hardware" on your 8800. If you used it with blackberry maps it would be free. If you've signed up for Telenav Service, then that's what your carrier is charging you for.

I don't think I'm wrong here, but I have not had the hands on experience, and It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong.
    You are correct... Hardware charge is zero and BB Maps is a download and uses data only Unlike Telenav

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Huh? Telenav only uses data. It sure doesn't use SMS...

Whether or not you pay a service fee for a GPS app depends on the app you're using. BBmaps is free but it's a pretty poor app IMO and it's a bit of work to get it on a Cingular 8800.

I'd suggest using Mapquest Navigator. It's free, works rather well and has voice prompts. Just tell the site that you have a Sprint 8703e and use the download link provided. It works fine on 8800's.

There are a number of other GPS apps out there for the BB. You should be able to find info on them here.

Quote Originally Posted by jmspecto
    Does anyone know if there is a way to turn on the GPS feature on the BB 8800 without getting charged by Cingular.
    Just to clarify -- GPS is "on" with the 8800 out of the box. You just need an app to convert the coordinates that the receiver picks up into something meaningful.
    Last edited by I7oobie; 03-29-2007 at 04:14 PM.

PIN/ID
    242C46E0

Of course it does not use "sms" the point was that the maps is not preloaded or stored on the BB and there is no recurring charge. Also, bb maps was very easy to set up on the 8800. Could you pass on the link to mapquest navigator? Would like to check it out. Thanks in advance. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by paulsbb
    Of course it does not use "sms" the point was that the maps is not preloaded or stored on the BB and there is no recurring charge.
    I understood what you meant but your wording was a bit vague -- sorry for the nitpicking!

Also, bb maps was very easy to set up on the 8800.
    It's definitely easy IMO. However, someone new to BB wouldn't consider having to install & download DM & the handheld OS and either editing LBS.alx or downloading a modified one and then upgrading via App Loader to be "easy". Certainly not compared to simply performing an OTA install and then using the app.

I do recommend checking out BBmaps -- knowing the options is and then deciding for yourself is always best. I just found it to be a waste of time as BBmaps has trouble acquiring satellite locks or updating even though it uses the same exact hardware that as the other GPS apps I've tried (which don't have those problems). Could be a YMMV issue as well...

Could you pass on the link to mapquest navigator? Would like to check it out. Thanks in advance.
    I don't have it but I guess I can Google it for you:
    http://navigator.mapquest.com/mqota
    Last edited by I7oobie; 03-29-2007 at 04:16 PM.

PIN/ID
    242C46E0

No problem; in my line of work I guess I make some assumptions of understanding. No need to google it for me. I was curious if there was a version which did not expire in 30 days.

IndoorGK00 no está en línea Stack level 2

Just loaded Mapquest Navigator on my 8800 and it worked great!!! It is truly a turn by turn (talk to you) GPS program. Daddy LIKES........lol
    Last edited by IndoorGK00; 03-29-2007 at 03:05 PM.

mcgowan08 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

I'm trying to downoald mapquest navigator on my 8800 and ant get it to load. Do you have to download it via dm?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    242C46E0

got to the provided link via your desktop and enter your mobile number and a SMS will follow to your BB for download

etcetera no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by jmspecto
    Does anyone know if there is a way to turn on the GPS feature on the BB 8800 without getting charged by Cingular. I want to use it, but I dont want to pay. It is more of a novelty thing for me. Please let me know. Thanks
    I tried to use BB maps and the people at cingular said i wouldn't be able to. They said i had to use telenav because cingular does not support BBmaps. I tried downloading straight in to my 8800 but I get a error message asking to contact my service provider.

pdqgp no está en línea Stack level 2

but there is a thread here talking about getting bbmaps on the 8800.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ur_8800_a.html

so long as you follow the directions posted, it works beautifully. I have it on mine and it's great. I still like TeleNav though. company pays my cell bill and doesn't even notice the $9.99 per month so I'm in heaven

Quote Originally Posted by etcetera
    I tried to use BB maps and the people at cingular said i wouldn't be able to. They said i had to use telenav because cingular does not support BBmaps. I tried downloading straight in to my 8800 but I get a error message asking to contact my service provider.
    Last edited by pdqgp; 03-29-2007 at 08:04 PM.

Sebatical no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by etcetera
    They are correct in that they do not support BBMaps. It does not mean you can't use it -- only that Cingular does not provide support for it if you have difficulty configuring it. They word it such in an effort to get you to subscribe to their service.

I have both installed and while BBMaps is kind of neat, I like the turn-by-turn directions that TeleNav provides. To me, it's worth the $10/mo. If I'm not mistaken, there's a free 30-day trial of TeleNav, but you may have to go to a Cingular store to get it. You could always try and then cancel it if you don't find it worth the money. Just don't forget.

Budo no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24275f63

Here's the direct ota link for mapquest navigator. works like a charm on my 8800!
    http://mqnav.telmap.com/mqota/client.../8703e/mqn.jad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast