After posting some questions and doing some testing on the responses, I have determined that ... BlackBerry GPS forum

lindycu no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319BDB8B

Review: Using 3rd Party Apps with GPS on Verizon (VZ Nav Installed)

Advertisement

After posting some questions and doing some testing on the responses, I have determined that you can use 3rd party apps with Verizon, but of course, you need to have the VZ Navigator package. Assuming you have the $9.99/month GPS add-on, launch VZ Nav and then press the SEND button. At the phone app, press MENU and switch applications to home screen. You can then choose Live Search or Beyond 411. I tried Google Maps, but it does not see or recognize the GPS. Not sure why that is.

tafaghodi no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Review: Using 3rd Party Apps with GPS on Verizon (VZ Nav Installed)

Quote Originally Posted by lindycu View Post
    After posting some questions and doing some testing on the responses, I have determined that you can use 3rd party apps with Verizon, but of course, you need to have the VZ Navigator package. Assuming you have the $9.99/month GPS add-on, launch VZ Nav and then press the SEND button. At the phone app, press MENU and switch applications to home screen. You can then choose Live Search or Beyond 411. I tried Google Maps, but it does not see or recognize the GPS. Not sure why that is.

great tip thanks

lindycu no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319BDB8B

This is not "fool-proof" and other apps do require "line of sight" of sky in order to work. I'm not sure how VZW does it, but they sure make their phones and app the only way to go with Navigation or GPS capability. I have since deleted Google Maps (could never get it to work, other than the "cellular tower triangulation"), deleted Beyond411 (it struggled to find the GPS, and when it did, it would cause VZ Nav to lose it, and this would require and exit of the application...just didn't like all the hassle). And honestly, Live Search is a pain because of the "preloaded cities" and I want addresses, not cities. Since VZ Nav integrates with the menus, I'm trying to run that more.

On the bright side - I drove from PHL airport to NE Philly/NJ without going through tolls, got turn by turn directions, and made/took a few phones calls while Nav keep plugging away (note - you can't have conversations for more than ~8-10 minutes or Nav will lose the signal)

Any thing else, let me know.

skelzer no está en línea Stack level 3

To clarify steps on how to unlock VZW GPS for 3rd party apps:

- Launch VZNav
    - Select Maps
    - Select Follow Me Map and leave running
    - Open Application Switcher (8130: hold ALT, press ESCAPE - keep holding ALT)
    - Scroll then select Home Screen
    - Open 3rd party application

Make sure you configure each application to enable GPS (Live Search: Menu, Options, Configure GPS, BlackBerry GPS).

Confirmed that BBerry Maps and Google Maps see GPS... but most other apps seem to work fine.

lindycu -

FYI, Live Search does let you input a specific address...

- Highlight then click the box with the city name in it (under Search)
    - Scroll to top and select Enter New Location...
    - In Search box type in street,zip (eg: 123 here st, 05555)
    - Click the trackball or select Search from the menu

It should pull up your exact address, works same as Google Maps.

I use this all the time w/ VZNav running in the background... search and directory are MUCH peppier and easier to use than what's built into VZNav... plus it just feels good to sneak what we're not supposed be sneakin

Free VZW GPS!

ˇViva la revolución!

-s
    Last edited by skelzer; 02-15-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Lodingi no está en línea Stack level 1

VZ Nav does not allow me to select the follow me option. It keeps saying access denied. Any suggestions?