Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi All, Just to check is it possible to track where I am if i ... BlackBerry GPS forum

ThumAl no está en línea Stack level 1

Question on tracking

Advertisement

Hi All,

Just to check is it possible to track where I am if i do not have a GPS receiver. Company's on BES and my BB model is 8320.

Thanks.

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    You have a setting in your BB under Options, Advanced, GPS, and your BES admin controls whether it is on or off and whether you can make that determination yourself. So, technically, you DO have a GPS receiver, just not one you can see.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

Quote Originally Posted by KalebsDad78 View Post
    You have a setting in your BB under Options, Advanced, GPS, and your BES admin controls whether it is on or off and whether you can make that determination yourself. So, technically, you DO have a GPS receiver, just not one you can see.
    So which means i can be tracked wherever i am? Isn't this an intrusion of privacy?How can i disable it? I went to the Options,Advance,GPS and the GPS Data Source shows 'None'...

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Maybe with your service provider, GPS is not an option which means you are ok then in regards to tracking. I do not see that as an invasion of privacy from my standpoint when a company provides you with a Blackberry, pays for your monthly service, pays for your license to be on that BES and wants to know, on rare occassions, where you might be. If that search is restricted to normal business hours, whatever that might be for your job or company.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    Umm, guys, an 8320 does not have AGPS - so, no, you can't be tracked unless you buy yourself a GPS puck, pair it with your device over bluetooth and then walk around with it live in your pocket or on the dash of your car. (and, that's only if the BES admin sets that option).

I seriously doubt any companies will opt for this (especially considering most of the exec's have berries - I could see some CXO's having a bird if they found out IT was doing this).

kenvan60 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23f4e3a6
    Download Google maps! You don't need a puck because it finds your location using cell towers and is free

Cell tower triangulation isn't all it's cracked up to be (think the most accurate it can be is within a city block). Really depends on the density of the base stations. In non-metro areas it isn't even usable (and can't be relied on for turn-by-turn directions).

PIN/ID
    23f4e3a6
    He doesn't have a gps receiver....This is his ONLY chouce

??? You read the bit where I mention the GPS puck?

(and, it didn't sound like he wanted to be tracked - but that he was wondering if his company could).

No, not without putting additional software on your device...and, even then, if it's using cellular triangulation it isn't reliable.

PIN/ID
    23f4e3a6
    I don't think we disagree. I though perhaps he wanted to know where he was. The BES info was him simply providing us with further information. Lastly, here in Baltimore, triangulation shows me pretty close to where I actually am. Since 80% of the population live metro areas, it's a pretty good (but not perfect) bet that he does to. Again, I thought he wanted to be found and didn't necessarily want a puck, you thought otherwise. I think he's now covered either way!

PIN/ID
    23f4e3a6
    Ridicule,
    I just re-read the whole page. I'm an IDIOT. Please ignore me

Hi all,

Thanks for all the help. Let me just clear up the point...

1) 8320 doesn't have GPS built in(am i right?) - Suppose if i need locations for my own use, i'll need to download application like Google maps?

2) I'm on my company's BES(I own my BB device,company just pays for the data plan) - Will my company be able to track me whether or not if i have installed google maps in my device? I do not want to be tracked though...

Hope my question is clear...thanks for all the advice.

ThumAl the 8320 does not have GPS (it does have wifi) = you would have wanted to get an 8310 if you wanted a curve with GPS.

Google maps is not an alternative to having GPS (true, there are some that think celluar triangulation is usable) - me, I don't live in an area where it is, so you won't hear me going on about it

Even with Google Maps installed, your company won't be able to track you. Any IT Policies that are capable of being pushed from a BES to do that solely utilize devices that have GPS.

Now, that being said - if their default policy was to track and you bought a GPS puck and paired it with your device, they would be able to track you when you had GPS navigation enabled on the device.

One more thought - as it's a device you purchased yourself, you might ask them to not push any IT policy to your device (that will eliminate the issue altogether)

Hi Ridicule,

Thanks! I am clear now.

singk no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2437547A
    GPS tracking is a battery s*cker. If it's enabled you will know that your BB won't last a day without charging. For this reason, I don't know if any BES Admin (the company) would turn it on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast