I've had an 8830 with US Cellular since Nov., 2007. For the first few months ... BlackBerry GPS forum

jrusch no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31ADDE19

Problem with GPS on 8830

Advertisement

I've had an 8830 with US Cellular since Nov., 2007. For the first few months the GPS worked fine, every time I used it it would find the satellites. In the past few weeks, most of the time it doesn't work. It just displays "Searching for satellites" for about 15 minutes and then a messages comes up stating it couldn't get a GPS lock.

I've tried all the troubleshooting steps I could find. Nothing helps. It works about 1 out of every 10 times I try.

I don't think there is a hardware problem, this is my third 8830 in about 4 weeks. All 3 of them have had the same GPS problem.

I contacted US Cellular technical support and they said that this is a known problem with the 8830. They said RIM made a software change and all 8830s are affected.

But I haven't seen anyone else posting that they are having a problem (other than the Verizon and Alltel posts that require paying for a 3rd party application).

Help?

wilceaux no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Problem with GPS on 8830

I have the same problem with BB Maps, but Google Maps usually gets a good GPS signal. The Sprint GPS software I use works most of the time as well.
    The software upgrade can't come soon enough.

sy32478 no está en línea Stack level 2

Have you tried a battery pull? That usually fixes it for me.

jrusch no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31ADDE19

I've tried the battery pull, uninstalling and reinstalling, etc.

kdkng no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3049A487

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

For me I just close and reopen the program when I have an error and it works

sy32478 no está en línea Stack level 2

That is odd. I usually only have an issue with the Microsoft LiveSearch - it consistantly seems to be off by miles.

All of the other half dozen GPS based apps work well.

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3

I've had issues as well and I went to redownload Sprint Navigation and a newer version was available. I had 1.0.0.8 and the new version was 1.0.0.22. This appears to have resolved my issues.

wilceaux no está en línea Stack level 1

tavella,

Do you have the link for that upgrade?

Thanks.

jlatessa no está en línea Stack level 2
    As you know by now, US Cellular has been allowing BlackBerry users to "piggyback" off of the 3rd party-owned My Navigator. USCC stopped allowing this because they didn't want to pay the $$$ involved. So USCC BlackBerry users are now without a real GPS solution.

I'm sorry but cell tower-based aGps isn't even close enough for government work.

I live in Springfield Illinois, and aGps typically locates me as being close to Chicago, or in the middle of Lake Michigan.

Installing Yahoo Go! seems to make the GPS functional again, but I have no idea why.

Installing TeleNav will work also because TeleNav has it's own services. TeleNav costs $10 per month though. If you're going to have a GPS Navigator on your phone, TeleNav is the one to have. The best is always worth a few extra bucks.

Problem is, TeleNav is not available to USCC subscribers.

It can still be had though.

Point your 8830's browser to the BlackBerry WAP home page. Go to the Applications section where all the GPS programs are, and go to TeleNav.

When it asks you what carrier you're with, select Alltel, and then download & install the app.

When you run the app, of course the registration won't work because as a USCC subscriber, you're obviously not an Alltel subscriber.

No problem.

Call the number that pops up, have your credit card ready, and purchase the $10 monthly subscription. Then you're good to go. The first month is a trial anway, so you can cancel if you wish before the month ends. If you like it, keep it.

Obviously the best solution is for USCC to accomodate their subscriber base. I'm sure I can't be the only person who's upset with this, as free functional GPS was one of the reasons I purchased this phone in the first place.

If TeleNav were smart, and wanted to make a quick buck, they'd make their services available to USCC subscribers in a not-so-roundabout way. Maybe a six month promotional rate of $5.99. For the best? I'd surely do it.

I've tried the Garmin, and it barely works at all without true GPS.
    Last edited by jlatessa; 05-20-2008 at 10:32 AM.

jlatessa no está en línea Stack level 2

Update

Here's an update on what I previously posted.

First, when I asked USCC Customer Service about this GPS issue, here's what I got back from them:

Thank you for contacting U.S. Cellular(r) Online Customer Care
    Department. We apologize for any confusion regarding this matter. U.S.
    Cellular(r) has never offered a GPS navigation system compatible with
    the BlackBerry(r). BlackBerry(r) has and does offer BlackBerry(r) maps,
    which to the best of our knowledge is still available to BlackBerry(r)
    users.

Complete BS. The GPS was one of the prime reasons I purchased this phone. So, no help there. Or maybe he didn't understand what I was asking him?

Just as a complete whim, I rolled back my 8830's OS to an earlier version, and things seem to be working OK now.

After checking TeleNav's web site, it appears that their monthly $9.99 plan uses up cell minutes - for operation. That's no good. So to me it wasn't worth the bother of getting it onto my "unsupported" USCC 8830.

I gave the Garmin for BB another shot and it now works quite well on my 8830.

pvdiamon no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up GPS on BB Pearl

Hi, I have a Pearl with USCC, from 2/08. The GPS has never been adequate. It rarely finds satellites. Even Google maps had to use triangulation, never could get rid of that blue circle around the center. USCC customer service has been clueless, until I found a USCC tech person last week who was willing to share info while helping me install OS 4.5, which by itself had no effect on satellite reception.

She downloaded Garmin Mobile (she did say it was free, but it's only free for a week) and said it had a remarkable effect in improving satellite reception. She contacted RIM and they denied any connection, calling it coincidental. Well, it did the same for me. Now Google maps is precise, BB maps finds satellites, and Garmin works great.

Well, I doubt I will pay $99 for it. So I'm curious when the trial ends if my great satellite reception ends too...we'll see in a few days. Someone mentioned the same effect with Yahoo Go. May have to try that. If anyone else finds similar effects. I'd like to hear from them. Thanks.
    John