Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i just got a new Holux GPSlim 236 for my Pearl. What should i expect? ... BlackBerry GPS forum

jmarley no está en línea Stack level 2

New GPS..thoughts

Advertisement

i just got a new Holux GPSlim 236 for my Pearl. What should i expect?

I hope it works well. im basically wondering what everyone's experience is with a bluetooth gps (this model in particular if you have it), and how easy it is use, do i make any changes to my phone itsefl, etc. basically, any and all information would be great! TIA

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Re: New GPS..thoughts

Nope, no changes necessary. Just pair the 236 to your Pearl like any other BT device. Google Maps, TeleNav, Blackberry Maps, Nav4All will work just great with it.

If you want a pretty cool game for it, try Geocaching.com. Hide and seek for your inner nerd.

haha sweet. well right now i guess all i have is BB maps. which one is the best? i heard telenav is good, but how much does it cost? i cant wait to use it. is this a good model for the pearl?

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Google Maps works pretty well, and its free. Although I don't think it has turn by turn navigation. Nav4All is a free app that has excellent turn by turn capability, if thats what you're looking for.

hm..okay that all sounds great. should i just google for these downloads? i thought i tried to download google maps once but it wouldnt work on the pearl? must have had the wrong link?

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Yeah, you went to the wrong place. Hang on a sec, lemme dig around for some links...

You want the mobile sites, so you can do OTA downloads. While I am looking, you can check the Download section of the forum, you may find them before I do.

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

For the Google Mobile Apps, open your BB Browser and go to:
    www.google.com/gmm

Nav4All
    www.nav4all.com

If you are asked for OS versions, you want to select 4.2. Good Luck!

jlovingit no está en línea Stack level 1

That is the one I have. My fav program is mapquest navigator. It gives audible turn by turn and updates very quickly. But it was very iffy when it came to connecting to the Holux. I did not know there is a GPS Data Source under phone options>advanced options>gps. After I found this and changed "none" to "holux GPSslim 236" everything works great. Google mapquest navigator and select sprint as the carrier and then the 71xx phone and it will work and with no charge(at least none yet).

well there is a slight problem. i dont have a data plan yet and i think i will have to wait a couple of months. is there any way to get these OTA programs in a zip file? like take the app of your phone make it a file? thats prob. not possible. so assuming i dont have a data plan, then i should just stick w/ BB maps for now?
    thanks for the help guys. so with the GPS and BB maps, it will show on my screen where i am and where im going? im pretty pumped about it.

crum no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24143D5A

I think in order to use BBmaps you have to have a data planso it can update as you go wher you are on the map~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

man crum diddy. that isnt that good of news. i wish the data plan was cheaper. but, ill prob spring for it. you have experience with GPS crum?

crum no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24143D5A

Yup and I would love to tell you what kind I have but I left it in my car...I think it is called Gsat but not sure anyways I use google maps and its great well that what I think ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

mimakeko no está en línea Stack level 1

I have a BB 8100 originally T-Mobile and now unlocked to work on ATT, does anyone know how to remove T-Mobile splash screen on startup? {Please}

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

You need a data plan for any current GPS app. No one delivers maps on microSD for the BB at the moment.

Nav4All does offer turn-by-turn and voice prompts but it's incredibly awkward and tedious to use but it might work for those unwilling to pay for a GPS app. I haven't had to pay a dime yet for Mapquest Navigator. If that's still the case with that app, I'd recommend it over Nav4All. If you're willing to pay Telenav's service fee I'd recommend it above all other GPS apps for the BB.

Quote Originally Posted by mimakeko
    I have a BB 8100 originally T-Mobile and now unlocked to work on ATT, does anyone know how to remove T-Mobile splash screen on startup? {Please}
    Please don't hijack threads. New topics belong in their own threads. You cannot change/remove the splash screen on any BB.

nrcapes no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E6997B

Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu
    Nope, no changes necessary. Just pair the 236 to your Pearl like any other BT device. Google Maps, TeleNav, Blackberry Maps, Nav4All will work just great with it.

If you want a pretty cool game for it, try Geocaching.com. Hide and seek for your inner nerd.
    After extensive testing with Telenav tech support, they have concluded that the GPSlim236 does not presently work with Telenav. Therefore, I cancelled my subscription to the service.

Have you actually gotten Telenav to work with the GPSlim236, or are you merely speculating?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast