This sort of builds off this thread about Tel Map and TeleNav. But it brings ... BlackBerry GPS forum

wrtgirl no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23CF680E

Question Let's Talk GPS

Advertisement

This sort of builds off this thread about Tel Map and TeleNav. But it brings up some questions for me.

When I was BB shopping, and trying to decide which model and carrier, etc, I wanted, I was seduced by the wine-colored 8700 still in the box at the Cincinnati Bell store. The sales guy, who was an idiot across the board, told me it had GPS. That sold me right then and there. (Until he told me it would be $500, at which point I went running to Cingular.)

So, does the BB 8700 support GPS? A google search wasn't very helpful. And I posted to the TeleNav forums asking why, if I subscribed to their service ($10/month), I also had to buy a Bluetooth GPS kit for $140. They said that "Since the 8700c does not have an internal GPS receiver, you need to puchase a device to get your location readings. Without a GPS receiver, the application literally won't know where you are to give you directions. This device itself is about the size of a chicken egg and is placed on your car dashboard while in use."

I would really like to have GPS with Voice Prompts. It would help out when travelling on business trips and the like. You should see me trying to read a map at night in a strange city, with my husband on the phone looking things up on MapQuest for me ...

Thanks for your thoughts!

Shel

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Let's Talk GPS

Below this thread under similar threads try:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...read.php?t=621

But to answer you question - a good one - for now the 8700 dosn't support GPS on it's own.

wrtgirl no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23CF680E

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~argh! So the cincy bell guy really was an idiot ... Looks like I may invest in that chicken egg!

dtx
    dtx no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    207B3A96

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~
    There are a few CDMA blackberries with GPS built in. Up here in canada Telus carries the 7250 (I believe) which is pretty much the 7290 + GPS. I wish my 8700 had it though. Would be nice.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Nextel's Blackberries have built-in GPS.

akchris no está en línea Stack level 1

Do you mind if I ask; at which cincinnati bell store you did you have this problem? Also, the name or a description of the sales person would be helpful.

Thanks,

Akchris