Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I could not master the ATLAS concept either. I'm waiting for my renewed Passport before ... BlackBerry GPS forum

FF2
    FF2 no está en línea Stack level 2

Advertisement

I could not master the ATLAS concept either. I'm waiting for my renewed Passport before venturing to the near north. I used my 8830 for email while near Lake Louise - costs don't seem too bad.

FF2
    Quote Originally Posted by marcuzi View Post
    Could anyone be kind enough to explain the tech-talk here: http://www.linuxtechs.net/kruch/tb/f...opic.php?t=833 ???

I found it on James' site (Thank you thank you) but I don't even have a clue what this stuff refers to and would LOVE an atlas of Vancouver, BC for when I'm cruising in there way out of reach of my home data plan provider... The $$ really adds up when I'm roaming...

Thanks for any feedback.
    Cheers, -m
    Well, I used the "Atlas Creating software" mentioned here:

http://www.linuxtechs.net/kruch/tb/f...r=asc&start=60

I did join that forum a few weeks back and downloaded the java program but could not get it working. Last night I did. So I created an Atlas but don't have room at the moment to install or, frankly, know where/how to install. But I'm part way there......

marcuzi no está en línea Stack level 2
    Cool, I did see that... Maybe I will give it a go after exams Cheers, -m

I did look into this http://www.linuxtechs.net/kruch/tb/f...hp?p=7670#7670

Problem Solved!
    The application is called Googleak. It is fully explained, complete with screenshots and it is so easy to use that I have created an atlas of not only Vancouver, BC but a whole whack load of places I 'may' visit. I loaded them up onto a microSD and now its ready to go.

So far I have found Trekbuddy to be a very nice app to use with or without data plan coverage. While I do prefer my Garmin, Trekbuddy allows me to create maps that I would have to otherwise pay for.

Thanks, FF2 for pointing out the way, cheers, -m

FF2
    Care to somehow share your Vancouver, BC atlas? I go up there occasionally, staying at the westside Hostel and walking everywhere.

am away from the atlas until the 26th but will try to send/post the file somewhere... cheers, -m

FF2
    Quote Originally Posted by marcuzi View Post
    am away from the atlas until the 26th but will try to send/post the file somewhere... cheers, -m
    Hoping that I can get your Vancouver Atlas? Ideas for sharing it?

OK,

Now am involved in a pretty fun cross-country move of my house and life so have been away from pinstack.

I have been hesitant in uploading this atlas because it's slow. However, since I won't have time to fix it soon, here it is. It's better than nothing and you guys can give feedback as to how it's working on you blackberries.

One more thing, if you read the above post of mine you will already have hear this, but I can't encourage it enough!

Please go to http://www.linuxtechs.net/kruch/tb/forum/viewtopic.php?t=833 and get yourself GoogLeak and try to help in the discovery process. It is all very simple, if I had 30 minutes to kill I would do it, but I don't and the atlas that I have is suitable for my purposes...

So you will have to place the entire contents of this .rar into the appropriate file after you unzip it.

You can find details on the trekbuddy wiki and discussion forums, too. Just google them.

Lastly, if you would like to speed up the atlas, just use a program called TuGZIP to convert the appropriate files into ".tar"files (this is where I am, not sure which files to convert and what the structure of the file tree is after ".tarring") and the trekbuddy wikis and forums should tell you I just don't have time, sorry.

The file should take a good 5-10 minutes to extract. To copy to a microSD card, you will need 30-50 minutes, depending on the quality of your microSD and other stuff. So plan for this time. If you are using Layer 17 you should completely shut down the TB program before you leave or your BB will be running slow.

I have (I think) fixed a bug that would plot me about 50 meters off from where I was actually standing (ie: about one or two blocks from my actual position) If you are having problems with this, too you will find the trekbuddy forums of help as there are so many causes for this.

NOTE: A newer version of TB has just been released in April and most people are not having issues with it (ahem, most people using balckberries, that is.)

For latest versions and all the info you could ever need, please look here http://linuxtechs.net/kruch/tb/forum/index.php .

Wish me luck with my move.

Enjoy, see you in a month! I will miss my pinstackers, cheers -m

PS: In the meantime, if you are reading this and it's easy for you: Can you please explain to me how/where I can upload files like this to? I forget right now in the big hurry/mess don't have time to look

PPS: The file is too big. I need to shut down this thing but will chack back periodically until the end of the week. Don't have time to search so if someone PM me with where/how to upload the Atlas I will do it.

Um, so that was a while ago... Sorry.

Here is a finished version of the Vancouver Atlas
    http://rapidshare.com/files/14284980...ouver.rar.html

Cheers, -m

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12