Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

actually... you can use the GPS positioning without data service. It will locate and tell ... BlackBerry GPS forum

bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17

Re: Isn't it pointless to have built in GPS if u need service to see maps?

Advertisement

actually... you can use the GPS positioning without data service. It will locate and tell you your longitude and latitude...just cant use the mapping services. Ive used the GPS positioning on an airplane without any carrier service at all and it does update my position but not for maps. just an fyi

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by rpatel18
    well then why would you but GPS on the device in the first place. Why not just let Telenav use cell tower trangulation to get your position then. Also, RIM needs to release some info about their OS so 3rd party developers can create apps for the phones, one of the reasons why there are few apps out for it.
    Trangulation is highly inaccurate. Certainly not suitable for in-car navigation. It's certainly not in all cell phones or else you could use GPS on the 8300 without a bluetooth puck.

I get the feeling that you're not really familiar with any of these things but you've read a little. The next step for you IMO is to get a data plan and try the available GPS apps. You can sit there and speculate about how well things do or don't work but you won't know until you have some firsthand experience. In any case, until a GPS app developer releases a solution we won't see maps on microSD. You can bug RIM all you want about it but they're not a GPS app developer.

Quote Originally Posted by teleberry
    Actually, there are several GPS programs out there that fit entire maps, POI and all required programing on 1-2 GB flash chips. These chips go into a slot on devices such as Garmin and some others make as well as some other cell phones.
    If RIM should ever make the BB capable of running actual programs from the media cards, you would be able to purchase such an already available chip and have exactly what you want.
    I hope RIM does this modification eventually.
    There's no need to run the app from the media card -- just the need to access the maps from the media card. Sticking the app itself on the media card would just eat up limited and valuable space. As you've pointed out, companies like Garmin are the ones that y'all need to get in touch with to let them know that you want a non-streaming option.
    Last edited by takeshi; 06-19-2007 at 04:01 PM.

rpatel18 no está en línea Stack level 1

after 9/11 all new cell phones are to have some sort of trangulation built in(satellite or cell node) by law. I remember the old ATT used cell node trangulation(verizon uses it now as well) to locate your friends when you typed in their phone number(after approval of the other party of course) at an online site.

Also, I do alooooot of traveling and I often take scenic vacations where cell phone coverage is minimal. I also go to europe and in india often(india once a year) and there, cell phone coverage is spotty as well, mainly in india.
    Last edited by rpatel18; 06-19-2007 at 09:22 PM.

...as I said, try using Telenav with the 8300. It won't work without a GPS puck despite what you're claiming (and the 8300 is a brand new model). You can argue all you want but the real world doesn't agree with you. I don't know what else to say other than don't rely on spec sheets and get some real world experience with these things.

Triangulation isn't suitable for in-car navigation anyway (again -- I've already stated this several times) with ~150-300 meters accuracy at best. Even if you assume that you can get 150 meters accuracy that's usless for determining what street you're on in a city.

In addition to needing to contact a GPS app developer just to request maps on microSD you'd also need to make sure that if they did offer maps on microSD for the BB that they would also provide maps for Europe and India to meet your needs.
    Last edited by takeshi; 06-20-2007 at 11:28 AM.

rpatel18 no está en línea Stack level 1

Been using telenav about 2 months now and its great. But today i tried to pull up a route and I got a cannot retrieve server or something error. Apparently I had no service at the moment. Thats the point I'm trying to make, why include a gps receiver built in to the phone if you need internet access for pull up the route.

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3

Been using telenav about 2 months now and its great. But today i tried to pull up a route and I got a cannot retrieve server or something error. Apparently I had no service at the moment. Thats the point I'm trying to make, why include a gps receiver built in to the phone if you need internet access for pull up the route.
    I think that the only one that can answer the "why" is RIM. If you need coverage all the time try a satellite phone. If you think the data packages are high, wait until you see the fee for satellite phones. My two cents.

Thats the point I'm trying to make, why include a gps receiver built in to the phone if you need internet access for pull up the route.
    RIM does not develop GPS apps. If it really bothers you that you can't have preloaded maps for your GPS app then contact your GPS app developer. RIM included the GPS receiver because it's a very useful feature to have. The GPS software, again, is the developer's responsibility.

If you feel it's pointless then by all means cancel your Telenav subscription and save yourself some money.

BBFixer no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    4U2ASK

Isn't it pointless to have a blackberry without data service?

kentrg no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    246FBBBA

I rememmber using my 8800 with Nav4all. Its free with voice directions as well. When i lost service maps wouldnt update but the turn directions were cookied.

err but you still need data

mindy28 no está en línea Stack level 1

I'm pretty new to these phones, just got the Curve. I actually assumed telenav would b free and was pretty disappointed. I recently downloaded google maps, it was easy AND free and it's got sattelite view. I love it, only wish I could find a way to take telenav off my apps and free up the space

artiface no está en línea Stack level 1

mindy use the desktop manager's application loader. uncheck telenav.

blankito350 no está en línea Stack level 1
    nokia have a maps application called "nokia maps".... can be installed on the phone card and the maps can be stored on the card.... they have a software to upload maps into the phone selecting the country that you want to have.... all you need is an bluetooth anthena if phone doesnt have internal gps!! ... so blackberrys have old technology... ill sell my 8310 for $265 if there is not an application with maps on card in a few months... otherwise,i used treckbuddy but i have no zoom... because it works with jpeg pictures... too bad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12