Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a blackberry 8800 but one thing i'm dissapointed with is that you need ... BlackBerry GPS forum

rpatel18 no está en línea Stack level 1

Isn't it pointless to have built in GPS if u need service to see maps?

Advertisement

I have a blackberry 8800 but one thing i'm dissapointed with is that you need data service to get maps for GPS. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of having built in GPS. what if you go somewhere where you can't get service?

boiseguy83 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2405956B

Re: Isn't it pointless to have built in GPS if u need service to see maps?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Wow I never thought of it like that. Doesn't Telenav download the entire route though?

they do, but you have to be in a cell phone serviced zone when you start you route. If you try and start a route in an area where you dont have cell phone service and the map isn't cached....then you SOL.

RoC1909 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2403CAA5

Quote Originally Posted by rpatel18
    I have a blackberry 8800 but one thing i'm dissapointed with is that you need data service to get maps for GPS. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of having built in GPS. what if you go somewhere where you can't get service?
    Absolutely correct! We paid for the service and we should get it without the data BS that is needed. I don't need a data plan for my Garmin GPS V. Then again, I DID my research and knew what I was getting into when I purchased my BB so I have only myself to blame.

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~maybe we should put this thread on the "suggestions for RIM" forum as well? I think you guys have a very valid point. Maybe BBMaps could be a stand alone application for each region (ie North America, UK, Australia, Germany) and the GPS enabled BBs then are sold with that country/region's map software. May even be an excuse to actually have voice turn by turn directions as well. I definitely agree it should be available outside data coverage areas.

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A

I
    sn't it pointless to have built in GPS if u need service to see maps?
    Hey Guys, posted the idea to the "suggestions for RIM" forum, if you really like the idea and want to let RIM know, post to the thread "GPS Independant of Data Coverage" in the Suggestions for RIM forum. I think Rpatel is on to something here!
    I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car........

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

The purpose of built in GPS is not for you, it is a federal mandate on all cell phones. It is the providers option to utilize the GPS in applications. Does that help?

well yeah, I knw everyphone has GPS in it. But this is acually a GPS feature built in to the phone, advertised as built in GPS, and yet u can't use it without dataservice. Many phones have GPS but it works on triangulation of the cell phone towers and not the acual service, the 8800 gps uses tha acual satellites.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of having built in GPS. what if you go somewhere where you can't get service?
    It's a limitation but it doesn't "defeat the whole purpose" by any measure (you might want to look into what that phrase actually means ). I've used Telenav on my 8800 a lot while traveling and it works really well. Where exactly are you planning on travelling where there won't be any data service (and how often do you travel into places without data coverage anyway)? Do you actually have any first hand experience with leaving data coverage while trying to use GPS on a Blackberry or are you just speculating?

Quote Originally Posted by RoC1909
    We paid for the service and we should get it without the data BS that is needed. I don't need a data plan for my Garmin GPS V.
    In case you haven't noticed, a Blackberry 8800 isn't a Garmin GPS V. While it might be possible to squeeze all possible map data that anyone would ever need in the US into a single 2GB microSD card, I imagine there would be some real challenges in actually pulling it off... Some of us also like to keep other things on our media card. Do you actually know how much space your map and related data (POI's, etc) takes on your Garmin GPS V??

Paying for your data plan pays for your data usage through your carrier -- not for your GPS app. Similarly, paying for Telenav or buying a GPS app doesn't pay for your Blackberry data plan. That's like complaining that you paid for gas for your car and you shouldn't have to pay for oil changes. They're two entirely different services.

Quote Originally Posted by ted
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~maybe we should put this thread on the "suggestions for RIM" forum as well?
    You'd actually need to contact the GPS app developers to get them to deliver maps on a microSD card. BBmaps is provided really just as a demo. RIM isn't going to get involved with developing a full-fledged GPS app. They're a small company and need to maintain their focus.
    Last edited by takeshi; 06-17-2007 at 08:30 PM.

I know its not possible to squeeze all the maps into a 2gb card(tomtom NE maps are about 1.2gb i think) but atleast i dont have to get online to get the maps. As of right now, I dont even have a data plan(getting one soon) so i can't even use the GPS function of it. Also, what if I got over seas to europe or somewhere, then i'd have to pay roaming costs as well when using the GPS. I mean, you can use telenav on virtually any phone out there, so why would you spend time, money, and effort into built in GPS when you could just have telenav take care of it.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Your statement doesn't make any sense. You have to use a GPS app with the receiver. Telenav is one of them. You can't use Telenav "instead of" the GPS receiver. They work together.

You're currently SOL without a data plan for GPS on the BB. As I've already said, the data plan is a must until a GPS app developer can supply and make use of maps on the microSD card. We could play the "what if" game until then end of time but that's the way it currently is. If you need maps on the microSD card then let the GPS app developers know. Griping here about it (without even bothering to try the app first) won't accomplish anything. AFAIK, Telenav, Garmin, TomTom, Mapquest and the others don't monitor Pinstack.

Are you actually traveling to Europe or is this just more navel comtemplation? You'd be stuck with data roaming charges on a BB anyway (GPS or no GPS) unless you had an international data plan provisioned.

If you're looking for an immediate solution without downloading maps you're better off with a standalone GPS unit.
    Last edited by takeshi; 06-18-2007 at 11:18 AM.

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3

When all else fails why don't you just get an old fashion map? They have them pocket size.

well then why would you but GPS on the device in the first place. Why not just let Telenav use cell tower trangulation to get your position then. Also, RIM needs to release some info about their OS so 3rd party developers can create apps for the phones, one of the reasons why there are few apps out for it.

teleberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23F8AB7F

Actually, there are several GPS programs out there that fit entire maps, POI and all required programing on 1-2 GB flash chips. These chips go into a slot on devices such as Garmin and some others make as well as some other cell phones.
    If RIM should ever make the BB capable of running actual programs from the media cards, you would be able to purchase such an already available chip and have exactly what you want.
    I hope RIM does this modification eventually.

I think that this is the biggest improvement they can make on the 8800. I also hope that this happens eventually. Please post in the suggestions thread for this if you agree, maybe we can catch their attention and get this going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast