Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hmmmm... And when do they expect vz navigator to be up and running??... BlackBerry GPS forum

gg707081 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Is it true that Verizon Disabled BlackBerry GPS?

Advertisement

Hmmmm... And when do they expect vz navigator to be up and running??

hyedipin no está en línea Stack level 3

I am not sure how well it works (VZ Navigator) on other phones, or how well it would work with this phone. Otherwise, I would just go and buy external BT GPS receiver and use something like google maps or yahoogo or just BB Maps with GPS.

jpl572103 no está en línea Stack level 3

I returned my Verizon 8830 because of the gps and the keyboard was hard for me to see at times.
    I got the sprint 8830 and gps does work. I have been using google and bbmaps. They both work but seem slow to load as im driving. The google maps has a satellite view feature that works sometimes. It will allow you to look down on top of your house/parking lot/white house/etc. I just can't understand why Verizon does some of the things they do and then expect the customer to accept what they offer as top of the line.

kaleb101 no está en línea Stack level 2

I read on another forum that 3-4rd quarter verizon plans on releasing some application to allow the 8830 yo use GPS free of charge without any hidden fees. And this was a direct email reprinted to the man who emailed them about his disappointment with the lack of GPS. Ill have to find that forum again.

Here we go found it on http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkonther...n-gets-me.html

Dear ,

Thank you for your recent e mail to Mr. Dennis Strigl, who has asked me to respond to you on his behalf.

Verizon Wireless' advertisements do not represent the autonomous GPS receiver and you may be referring to and Ad by the manufacturer. There may be disclaimers that not all carriers will sell the unit with the GPS system active.

In the 4th quarter of 2007, Verizon Wireless is expecting to launch VZNavigator in many of our PDA devices. The software to utilize this program would be available to our customers at no cost.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly.
    Steve Schwed
    Verizon Wireless
    HQ Executive Relations Supervisor
    e-mail Stephen.Schwed@verizonwireless.com
    Last edited by kaleb101; 08-24-2007 at 12:49 AM.

PDUB204 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Yes while it was common knowledge on pinstack and bgr that gps was disabled on 8830 anyone who does not check these sites would not have known and just for the record Verizon did advertise the 8830 with built in gps. I still have the flyer sent in the mail as well as a vzw magazine which also advertises it. Some cs reps at stores here actually told me the gps would be fully functional I knew otherwise and had a gps puck from my treo so not to big of a deal to me. But they were deceptive in advertising and practices

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

"The software to utilize this program would be available to our customers at no cost."

wait til they stiff you a monthly access fee muhahahaha

gkg3059 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    204bd5f7

Come on verizon what's the point of first hand technology if you see not going to use it?
    I have seen a lot of advertising from them about GPS, is it only for the devices they want or do I need to read the small text?
    They are also soon getting the 8130 comet with GPS on which they probably do the same.
    ~posted via opera mini~

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

Verizon's VZ Navigator is suppose to be available for download for the 8830 on Nov 2nd, and it comes with the 8130

valb626 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by cwax View Post
    Verizon's VZ Navigator is suppose to be available for download for the 8830 on Nov 2nd, and it comes with the 8130
    yeah, for $9.99/month subscription fee...

rustyp no está en línea Stack level 1

I purchased an i-Blue 747 from buygpsnow and it works SWEET! with my VZW Pearl 8130! About $75.

rustyp no está en línea Stack level 1

Oh, and it works with BB Maps, Google Maps, Microsoft Live, and Nav4All and amAze.

killer2239 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32CB69B1
    So with a bluetooth gps addon, or purchase vz navigator is our only options currently?

Schirripal no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2096c6ec
    i think if a phone has GPS hardware the Carrier shouldnt lock it, plus the fact if your with VZ you pay an arm and a leg for their phone service
    RedCurv07

sillyc no está en línea Stack level 1

Unlocked GPS

OS Version 4.5 does unlock the GPS for Verizon BlackBerry Devices. Although it only works with BlackBerry Maps currently. I have confirmed this on the 8330 and 8830 for Verizon. Hopefully Google can use the same APIs as BlackBerry Maps so they can share the use of the internal GPS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12