Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

David LaGesse writes: "Getting ready to write about GPS devices, I am anxious to try ... BlackBerry GPS forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Is it true that Verizon Disabled BlackBerry GPS?

Advertisement

David LaGesse writes: "Getting ready to write about GPS devices, I am anxious to try the mapping function of my new BlackBerry 8830 from Verizon Wireless. I fumble for about an hour, figuring I am doing something wrong as the phone has no idea where I am. Only later do I learn that Verizon quietly, in the dark of night, without a high sign or the kindness of an alert, had turned the blessed thing off.

The "maps" program that came with my Verizon phone is crippled, a mere tease to suck away my time and patience. I can punch up a map, but it's been blinded by the yahoos at my wireless provider. And nary a word, until I get so frustrated that I have to wade through an automated answering service to get tech support on the phone. I've looked through all the documentation that came with the phone and scoured the Verizon Website, and nowhere can I find a hint why the map program doesn't work."

Read More

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

Re: Is it true that Verizon Disabled BlackBerry GPS?

Yep, they're suppose to release a version of VZ Navigator for the 8830 soon to use the GPS functionality of the BB

Souly no está en línea Stack level 2

Yep there diving in for some of that gps money they want In! Verizon sucks

hyedipin no está en línea Stack level 3

Rumors has it, AT&T will also do the same thing, Ok not the same but very similar, locking GPS receiver to work only with telenav, and not with any other free mapping programs. So you may have to say goodbye to free gps service over google maps or BB maps, however it is all rumors so far.

It has been well known that VZ blocked the GPS functionality and is not even advertising the phone with GPS. I think David should have done his homework before diving into a VZ contract and getting BB - or any phone from verizon for that matter...

bacon no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Souly
    Yep there diving in for some of that gps money they want In! Verizon sucks
    They certainly do. Btw does verizon still send a months supply of lube with every bill?

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

Quote Originally Posted by hyedipin
    Rumors has it, AT&T will also do the same thing, Ok not the same but very similar, locking GPS receiver to work only with telenav, and not with any other free mapping programs. So you may have to say goodbye to free gps service over google maps or BB maps, however it is all rumors so far.

It has been well known that VZ blocked the GPS functionality and is not even advertising the phone with GPS. I think David should have done his homework before diving into a VZ contract and getting BB - or any phone from verizon for that matter...
    Yeah I heard about that with the 8820; I'll have to see when they send me over a test model to play with

Apparently, even with 8300 (current model) they locked the GPS functionality of external receivers to work with Google Maps latest version (1.6, I think?) So that it doesn't work anymore once you update the google maps.. Weird.

tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2

Nothing a software upgrade from another carrie wont fix
    BB8900 is mine!

Quote Originally Posted by tdawg
    For Verizon or ATT? It will still work with ATT, but apparently wont for VZ.. If they hardware-lock it somehow. There is a big discussion going on at bbforums

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by hayden
    Is it true that Verizon Disabled BlackBerry GPS?
    Absolutely. It's why I won't consider them regardless of how great their network might be. They're infamous for crippling devices. I'm hoping that at&t really isn't going to follow suit or that there is a workaround for the method that they've used to "lock" the 8820 to Telenav. Considering that there's only rumor regarding the at&t 8820 we'll have to wait and see. I mean, people mistakenly assume that the 8800 is "locked" to Telenav when really it just ships with an icon to download Telenav and the only restriction is that you can't use BB Maps. The BB Maps restriction is an easy workaround if you really want BB Maps for some reason...

Quote Originally Posted by hyedipin
    Apparently, even with 8300 (current model) they locked the GPS functionality of external receivers to work with Google Maps latest version (1.6, I think?) So that it doesn't work anymore once you update the google maps.. Weird.
    This seems to be a rumor to me. I mean, how and why would RIM/at&t "cripple" GPS for a specific version of Google Maps while letting you use other GPS apps?? I suspect that it's really just a problem with Google Maps 1.6x and people are jumping to the conclusion that at&t has somehow "crippled GPS".

Quote Originally Posted by tdawg
    A sfotware upgrade will not resolve the issue with the 8830 or the 8703e. If that was the case, Verizon BB owners ould have had GPS long ago!
    Last edited by takeshi; 08-23-2007 at 12:10 PM.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

a software upgrade wont work with verizon downloading there OS is a chore alone they always cripple there BB phones its either get down or lay down with them

rcrouse3 no está en línea Stack level 1

Lightbulb Re: Is it true that Verizon Disabled BlackBerry GPS?

You can use the GPS but there is a catch - you need a GPS receiver. A friend gave me a Holux GPSlim 240 as he received a Tom Tom for his B-day. This is a great little device - fits into your pocket - and is bluetooth. If you have a receiver ( I think this one can be found for $70) you just need to go to Options-Advanced Options-GPS. Change setting to Location on. Turn on your receiver and wait a minute until it picks up the satelite signal. Go to maps and access the menu to "start GPS Navigation". Viola - you now have a GPS system. I would rather pay the $$$ for a receiver than give Verizon any more money. It really works.

rcrouse3

Yes, you are talking about GPS on 8800?
    You can use external GPS receiver with any type of system that has BT and has ability to connect to any source to get maps. If I were to pay for additional GPS receiver, I would just go get better/smaller/more useful Curve.. Of course with VZ no option, if you MUST use VZ, you have no alternative but to get 8800. We cannot really complain..

gg707081 no está en línea Stack level 2

So even if you pay an extra monthly fee you can't have gps??

No. ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast