Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey All New to the forum - hi to everyone. Just a quick question from ... BlackBerry GPS forum

themusicman no está en línea Stack level 1

How to use GPS Sat Nav with 8800....?

Advertisement

Hey All

New to the forum - hi to everyone.

Just a quick question from me if I may please. I read that the Blackberry 8800 has integrated GPS satelite navigation on it but I am at a loss as to how to get this to work on my 8800. I see GPS in settings, and can see my global position co-ordinates, but I would like to see a map and use it for travelling. Is there something I need to download to get this to work...?

I have tried downloading google maps, but when I launch that app I get 'Downloading Terms and Conditions' - then get presented with the exclamation mark and a message saying 'Network Unavailable', and the Quit button. Then... "This application requires a data connection, and some blackberry devices require reconfiguration to work properly. Please visit google.com/gmm on your computer for more info."

So - when I visit that page I don't see any reference to the 8800 etc...

Is this what I need to ensure gets sorted before I use sat nav on my 8800 - is it only google that I can use it on??

Thanks all...

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: How to use GPS Sat Nav with 8800....?

From your BlackBerry, download and install either Google Maps:
    http://www.google.com/gmm

or BlackBerry Maps:
    http://www.blackberry.com/devicesoft...y.do?code=maps

I prefer Google Maps, but there are others that prefer BlackBerry Maps. No reason not to have both, and both are free!
    JerryD

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

You can also use BBMaps or the $10 a month TeleNav service.

As for Google Maps, yo uneed to agree tot he Ts and Cs before going further,

tessitori no está en línea Stack level 3

Welcome to stacks. There is also Mapquest navigator and Nav4all.com which are free. Each one has different features but you should download them and see which on eyou like best.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

In short, you need a GPS app for the 8800 and there are a number of options. I personally prefer Telenav but it is $10/month for unlimited routes. If you don't want to pay that I'd suggest Mapquest Navigator but there's supposedly a limited trial before they bill for it (I haven't paid a thing yet though). Google Maps is a good app but not really suitable for in-car nav. Same for BBmaps since neither offer turn-by-turn voice prompts like Telenav or Navigator.

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Does anyone know if Mapquest is available in AUS? I know Googlemaps is, not sure if BBmaps is out over here yet (haven't seen anything yet).
    I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car........

Mobiman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2071348F

Quote Originally Posted by ted
    Does anyone know if Mapquest is available in AUS? I know Googlemaps is, not sure if BBmaps is out over here yet (haven't seen anything yet).
    I checked the WEB, only available for Canada and the US for now......

gruv15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2404AE69

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Definitely check out TeleNav. Its a very nice service and worth the 10 bucks if your using your GPS frequently. You can sign up online at TeleNav or you can usually have your provider provision it for you.

ted
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Oh, well, Aus'll catch up eventually. I'll keep looking anyway. Thanx Mobiman!
    I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car........

tessitori no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by ted
    Oh, well, Aus'll catch up eventually. I'll keep looking anyway. Thanx Mobiman!
    Check out nav4all.com ! It is quite nice and it links to your address book so youdso not have to enter your destination all the time

rlandero5 no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~you can also download infospace find it. It is a cool program that uses your GPS to find directions and locations of nearby restaurants, banks, and so on. It also has a voice turn by turn directions option. It's pretty cool and it is FREE!

themusicman no está en línea Stack level 1

WOW - thanks for all the replies folks, much appreciated.

ted
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Google maps works GREAT if anyone needs a free service (or if you're outside the service area for BBmaps and the others that only work in the US and Canada). There are options to find locations (i.e. an address) or a business (I entered in cinemas and a couple of pizza joints- worked like a charm).

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

As you may be figuring out, GPS works great at telling you exactly where you are. Unless you have another utility like the ones already mentioned, it doesn't put "you are here" into any kind of context that is useful to you. I have a handheld GPS unit, and it works great. It works even better now that I got the maps loaded onto it so I could tell it where I wanted to go, instead of only knowing where I am already.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Also be aware that not all apps have voice prompts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast