This is my first post in this forum. I own a blackberry 8800 and i ... BlackBerry GPS forum

Khaiser no está en línea Stack level 1

hi! all - GPS problem

Advertisement

This is my first post in this forum. I own a blackberry 8800 and i have a few questions about GPS.

According to my provider i can use GPS without any problems but it doesn't seems to work at all. It doesn't find any satellite. I tried to type #HELP* to see if GPS is in fact active but it doesn't work (the blackberry transforms the letters into numbers when i press the send button).

How can i check if GPS is active for me? (My provider says it is, but i am not sure if that is true)

By the way, i am from Chile.

Thanks.-

pinpoint no está en línea Themes Pro
    PIN/ID
    ask me.

Re: hi! all - GPS problem

by running BBMaps then going to Menu->Start GPS
    dcrin3.com
    One Second Coming
    1s-
    Tour - 9/6/9 | ~3pm

Quote Originally Posted by pinpoint
    by running BBMaps then going to Menu->Start GPS
    The GPS is not working, but according to my provider it should be working. So I want to make sure if there is a problem with my BB (probably broken equipment) or in some IT Policy or something like that my provider is actually blocking my GPS and not telling me (so I can have proof of what they are doing).

The #HELP* thing was what I was looking for, but It doesn't work.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Via "options" never finds any satellites for me either. But as said above:

by running BB Maps then going to Menu->Start GPS

Thats how I've used it also

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Who is your provider?

Quote Originally Posted by BenMarvin
    Who is your provider?
    Entel PCS

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Make sure you are outside with a good view of the sky. Also make sure GPS is turned on as stated above.

Here we use an application from Garmin because Blackberry maps doesn't have Santiago (Chile) yet. It works just like Blackberry Maps, including the "Start GPS" thing.

I think that my provider may be blocking in some way the GPS because when I first switched from my old 8100 phone I had problems with the EDGE network and I noticed a small "crosshair" like icon where the Bluetooth icon is supposed to be. During that period I was able to use the GPS without any problem (using Garmin Mobile Chile software) including voice directions and stuff like that. But because the EDGE was not working properly (I realized that when I didn't receive any mail in about an hour, regardless that I had internet access) I contacted my provider support number and they fixed the situation in a few minutes. Right after that the GPS stopped working, despite the fact that my provider says it should work and is active. So in some point my GPS just malfunction or my provider is lying to me.

The Garmin Mobile software is included by default in every Blackberry 8800. It is an expensive software and every client can use it for free, so I don't think It is coherent to make available software like that only to block the GPS. I don't want to deliver the Blackberry to technical support since I really need it right now and I don't have time to waste. I want to check first if the GPS is being blocked by a policy of some sort and then take the next step if needed.