is it possible to just download the maps to your phone for a one time ... BlackBerry GPS forum

bb-pearl no está en línea Stack level 2

GPS without DATA?

Advertisement

is it possible to just download the maps to your phone for a one time charge and then use the GPS feauture without having a data connection?

beja no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: GPS without DATA?

I don't think it would be possible as the GPS would require a constant data feed to track your location.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6

Yup!! I don't think that's possible.....

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Not at the current moment. The GPS doesn't need a data feed but noone has written a mapping program for BB's yet that can be run self-contained with the maps stored on a memory card.

Zo

barbasol no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24328B8C

check this out http://www.skylab-mobilesystems.com/...spot_8310.html I e-mailed skylab and they said they do support maps on the memory card. I have yet to try it though.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

All of the apps that I am familiar with (reading skylab's site, I can't determine one way or the other) require data connection for the real time map rendering. The GPS will work without a data plan, but the phone won't be able to interpret the data into a map position for you without the data plan.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Reading their website, SPOT mentions connections to servers which implies internet requirement (data connection). It would be interesting if they do have an option to make the map loadable on a memory card so you can use it with no data connection.

Zo

FF2
    FF2 no está en línea Stack level 2

There's a thread on Trekbuddy or similar. It allows you to download maps of specific areas, store them on the card and view your position on those MOVING maps.

I just downloaded a map of my area (and placed it on my sd card) and it tracked me quite well using my Freedom 2000 puck (verizon locks out the gps on my 8830). I used it walking a block and it showed my location moving, direction of travel and then in the car for about a 4 mile local shopping circuit. It does not appear to navigate but it is not well documented.

Here's one guy's tutorial on setting it up:

http://www.medicalnerds.com/how-to-i...rekbuddy-0973/

acrtkweyeytrwry no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    206c06c7
    I was hoping to use the GoogleMaps but without an actual BB data polan my 8310 keeps freezing hard when starting the application. Gonna have to try TrekBuddy. Hope I can find some maps of Halifax.Nova Scotia.

I am too lazy to make the maps necessary myself.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    Quote Originally Posted by acrtkweyeytrwry View Post
    I am too lazy to make the maps necessary myself.
    I found the trekbuddy thread and tutorial shortly after my other post. I won't have a chance to test it out without a data connection until tomorrow.

Read the article and follow the tutorial. There is a site that will make your custom map from Google Maps, and then convert it to a file you can download.

Let us know how it works for you.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.