Does anyone know if gps will work on 8830 with verizon with a sim card ... BlackBerry GPS forum

58vette no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3049D993

GPS with sim card

Advertisement

Does anyone know if gps will work on 8830 with verizon with a sim card since it allows you to run on gsm instead of cdma? Or do I need to talk to a verizon rep? I know that vznavigater is coming but with all the great apps out there was curious if a sim card would be a better way to pay to play
    Thanks

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

Re: GPS with sim card

Nope, Verizon has the GPS locked down on the 8830 for now

58vette no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3049D993

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ok the reason I asked is that verizon said the gps was locked because of the cdma that's what made me wonder if it would work if on gsm
    But thanks for answering.

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    The GPS on the VZW 8830 is operational but disabled in software by RIM at VZW's direction. I have heard from my reps that VZ Navigator won't be released for the 8830--the goal is to make VZ Navigator function across all VZW phones and they are late in delivering this functionality. The phones already on the market won't have this functionality.

Here's the irony. GPS is free and works outside everywhere on the planet. VZNavigator will be avaiable only with a monthly fee and is limited to Verizon's network in the States.

Sigh...this is progress?