ok, here is what i wish i could do... for all of you that have ... BlackBerry GPS forum

danwestness no está en línea Stack level 2

Lightbulb GPS tracking without actually having GPS

Advertisement

ok, here is what i wish i could do...

for all of you that have tried the new Google Maps program with the "My Location" feature you will know what i'm talking about. This program uses the signature of the cell tower that your phone is using to estimate your location... I understand that this is not the most precious coordinates, but it's good enough for what i'm trying to do.

I see these services like accutracking.com that will track the GPS received on your cell phone to keep tabs on your kids, wife, etc.. or if you loose your phone... (this is the key one)

i'm looking for a simple software program that will maybe work like this:

When the phone received a text/e-mail with the specific code word (FINDME) or whatever... it will use the same technology as the google maps software to determine the coordinates of the closest tower and transmit that information back in some usable form (maybe latitude/longitude) so i can figure out what area the phone is in...

I know the source code for this has already been written for each step in various programs, so i just need somebody to piece it all together in one working file!

azmoto no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: GPS tracking without actually having GPS

I am just a simple caveman lawyer, but this type of software will inevitable lead someone into getting sued. The blackberry OS would have to be setup for the connection to the radio info and be allowed by the user just like any connection or sytem info request. It only takes one class action lawsuit to ruin it for everyone...

danwestness no está en línea Stack level 2

good point phil

sgtdisturbed47 no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by danwestness View Post
    ok, here is what i wish i could do...

for all of you that have tried the new Google Maps program with the "My Location" feature you will know what i'm talking about. This program uses the signature of the cell tower that your phone is using to estimate your location... I understand that this is not the most precious coordinates, but it's good enough for what i'm trying to do.

I see these services like accutracking.com that will track the GPS received on your cell phone to keep tabs on your kids, wife, etc.. or if you loose your phone... (this is the key one)

i'm looking for a simple software program that will maybe work like this:

When the phone received a text/e-mail with the specific code word (FINDME) or whatever... it will use the same technology as the google maps software to determine the coordinates of the closest tower and transmit that information back in some usable form (maybe latitude/longitude) so i can figure out what area the phone is in...

I know the source code for this has already been written for each step in various programs, so i just need somebody to piece it all together in one working file!
    Tracking yourself using cell towers wouldn't be accurate in the least. Some cell towers have a signal radius of 600 meters while others have a radius of 1200 meters. This means that your approximate location is within a 1200 or 2400 meter [in diameter] circle. Not a feasible way to track yourself.

Though the technology is already there, we would need software to implement this idea. With the very rapid rise in GPS devices and technology in the last few years, and plenty of competition between GPS device companies, you can be sure that prices will drop for advanced GPS devices with touch screens and such, but there will also be even cheaper options, like the concepts you are thinking of. You won't be able to use real-time turn-by-turn directions because the cell tower doesn't track your movement within it's rang. You are simply connected. You could, however, track your movement from cell to cell.

Granted, I would love to see this sort of idea come to life, just to see something new, but it wouldn't be a big hit.

You know, there are really inexpensive Bluetooth GPS pucks that people can get as well. I just bought one for $50 bucks on Amazon, and its accuracy is within 2 meters (multiple reviews attest to this accuracy).
    Last edited by sgtdisturbed47; 12-29-2007 at 03:47 PM.