My kid (9 years old) is going away to school next year. I was thinking ... BlackBerry GPS forum

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4

GPS Tracking

Advertisement

My kid (9 years old) is going away to school next year. I was thinking about getting him a BlackBerry Bold with a Data Plan.

I want to use it for real time GPS tracking so I know where he is.

Can anyone recommend software that will allow me to do this?

I have found a few

http://moostrax.com/
    http://www.findwhere.com/
    http://www.mologogo.com/waypoints/list
    http://www.accutracking.com/
    http://gps-snitch.com/marketing/blip.html

Ideally, I can track him on my Bold or from a website. It should also automatically launch with the BlackBerry.

zsafwan no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    255BA476
    The best software/Service I used is GSPed.com you can track him every 3sec if you need and they have a very nice web site where you can track him live on the web or from your Bold
    and today Google just lunched the new Google Maps 3.0 which have a friend locator built in check this web site for more info http://www.google.com/mobile/default/latitude.html

Ge
    Google Latitude looks interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

So far, I am leaning towards InstaMapper because it updates frequently. But I will have to give Latitude a try.

studio253 no está en línea Stack level 2
    We used to use teen arive alive with my daughter's phone. We could go back and check the maps to not only see where she was but it calculated how fast the cars she was going in was traveling. It updated every few seconds. ~via smartphone~

rjdjohnston no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hi Ge,

Some shameless promotion here because I work for them, but FindWhere has an extremely advanced real-time GPS tracking panel. We're using the same technology we provide to private investigators and large organizations world wide in our mobile phone tracking applications.

If you have a chance check us out, you can setup speed alerts to be notified if he's exceeded a specific speed; geo-fences, receive a text message and/or email if he leaves a geographic area you specify within the panel.

If you'd like to see for youself, please send me an email and I'll arrange for a demo account so you can see for yourself.

RJ Johnston
    rj.johnston@findwhere.com
    Last edited by rjdjohnston; 02-04-2009 at 10:14 AM.

disctosser no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me!
    While everyone is tossing great suggestions, I have to ask: 9 years old? You are going to get a 9 year old a Bold. Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to get one of the little clip on gps locators and stick it on his back pack or something like that? That is an expensive piece of equipment with a lot of features a 9 year old would probable never need.

On a side note, are you looking to adopt a 28 year old self employeed son? Low maintenance, just keep throwing gadgets my way. Ha!

~via smartphone~

Ge
    Quote Originally Posted by studio253 View Post
    We used to use teen arive alive with my daughter's phone. We could go back and check the maps to not only see where she was but it calculated how fast the cars she was going in was traveling. It updated every few seconds. ~via smartphone~
    Seems like Teen Arrive Alive is no longer offering this service. They are just doing traffic reports.

Quote Originally Posted by rjdjohnston View Post
    Hi Ge,

Some shameless promotion here because I work for them, but FindWhere has an extremely advanced real-time GPS tracking panel. We're using the same technology we provide to private investigators and large organizations world wide in our mobile phone tracking applications.

If you have a chance check us out, you can setup speed alerts to be notified if he's exceeded a specific speed; geo-fences, receive a text message and/or email if he leaves a geographic area you specify within the panel.

If you'd like to see for youself, please send me an email and I'll arrange for a demo account so you can see for yourself.

RJ Johnston
    rj.johnston@findwhere.com
    I looked at it briefly and it caught my eye because there is a family section on the web site. I will take a closer look. Fees seem fair.

Quote Originally Posted by disctosser View Post
    While everyone is tossing great suggestions, I have to ask: 9 years old? You are going to get a 9 year old a Bold. Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to get one of the little clip on gps locators and stick it on his back pack or something like that? That is an expensive piece of equipment with a lot of features a 9 year old would probable never need.

On a side note, are you looking to adopt a 28 year old self employeed son? Low maintenance, just keep throwing gadgets my way. Ha!

~via smartphone~
    Getting a Bold is cheaper than getting a Personal GPS tracking device. The watches cost $450 and the other units costs upwards of $800

Aren't you a little old to be adopted?

disctosser no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me!
    Wow! That much? I never realized tracking devices were that expensive.

Maybe you're right. Maybe I'm too old to be adopted. Never hurts to ask when people are handing out free bb's.
    ~via smartphone~

Aleksrussian no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30546CA8
    I'm up for adoption LOL

VictoriaSmith1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Safety For Your Kids

Hi! I would recommend SafeKidZone application to you. It allows you to keep track of the location of your kids from either your phone or from a website. And also, it has a panic button that allows your child to summon for help and ask for an immediate response from friends, family and from the nearest 911 in your area during emergency situation. And it has other safety features that would enable you to ensure the safety of your kids. This is the application I installed to the mobile phones of my kids. This is the protection I provide to my kids: http://safekidzone.com/