Alright so I have been searching these forums, I am thinking of getting a 8300 ... BlackBerry GPS forum

Drumlord no está en línea Stack level 1

GPS software question

Advertisement

Alright so I have been searching these forums, I am thinking of getting a 8300 and one big thing i was looking into was getting a bluetooth gps and getting some good software (i know the 8800 has it built in but i still want the 8300) and the only problem i am running into is the info i have found on software, i want something either free or a one time payment thing none of this monthly charge bs. It has to have voice directions and poi (something i hear is not in bb maps. any more detailed info is greatly apreciated.

-Jason

zipped no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: GPS software question

Hey DL, welcome to the stacks.
    We've been grumbling about this as we like to keep those pennies all locked up safely. On the serious side, as far as I've seen so far, the Telenav with Voice is subscription only. IMHO as far as best goes after that, google maps and bbmaps work fine.
    Would love to have someone post a link in regards to a voice software for the 8300/8800 series.

trigga15 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21655FFB

i dont think there are any GPS programs that are either free or are subscription sorry

AceBB no está en línea Stack level 3

I use BBmaps at least 3 times a day and it's great. If you want something with voice then get Wayfinder 7, it costs $99 but they offer a free trial for 10 days. www.mywayfinder.com
    .:*~*:._.:*~*:. AceBB .:*~*:._.:*~*:.
    Everything you ought to know @ http://www.christopheraceto.com

Kudo's Ace! I looked at the site, boy they could really use some help in explaining what they are offering. Went to the online manual, lo and behold, it is there, a tutorial on their software.
    Very interesting. Bookmarked it for now, will have to look into this - thanks!!!

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Google Maps and BBMaps is what I have. Both are free. They don't give voice directions nor do they automatically recompute if you miss a turn or make a wrong one. But I have GPS in my car and only use the BB GPS when I have a rental or am walking someplace.

That brings up a good point - recompute - totally forgot about that requirement...I am about a minute away from a missed turn when I realize it on google... another item to add to wishlist - voice and re-compute...

so wait neither bbmaps or google maps will recompute at all, or are they just slow?
    and if no voice do they at least like beep when you are getting close to a turn. I just moved to a new city and am always getting lost with my dad built in gps and the recomputing is a must expecially if its not giving you voice directions

oh and i completely forgot do you have to have the bluetooth gps unit that telenav wants to sell me or can i get a cheaper one on ebay

jetsetter no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Drumlord
    oh and i completely forgot do you have to have the bluetooth gps unit that telenav wants to sell me or can i get a cheaper one on ebay
    I picked up the BT-359 new from ebay for $30 less than Telenav's price. It took a week to get it in the mail though, I suspect Telenav would be faster.

nrcapes no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E6997B

Quote Originally Posted by trigga15
    i dont think there are any GPS programs that are either free or are subscription sorry
    Incorrect. Nav4all (www.nav4all.com) is free, as is Mapquest Navigator (although it supposedly only works on two carriers, I got it to work very well on an 8100 with T-Mobile).